Billions of people in emerging markets are coming online for the first time, most of them via mobile phones. Many have limited or no access to financial services. JUMO combines technology with data to create progressive financial choices for anyone, anywhere. On the JUMO platform, a customer can configure a savings, or lending product by amount, term and payment method. We believe any individual should be able to leverage their data footprint and access financial services tailored to their needs.
We are motivated by an ambitious purpose and inspired by the exceptional people that we work with and we are looking for an Senior Data Engineer to join our Data Engineering team. This position will be based in Nairobi, Kenya and will report to the Head of Data Engineering.
Design, build, and maintain JUMO's data processing platform, which acquires data for over 150 million mobile money users from distributed sources, consuming data from low frequency batch to high-volume real-time streaming sources, and processing, storing, and distributing these data to support an event-driven analytics pipeline, leveraging cloud based infrastructure.
- Design, implement, and maintain the software and appliances that constitute JUMO's data platform, enabling effective and efficient use of data across the organisation.
- Research of new technologies ensuring that JUMO's data platform remains as effective and efficient as possible.
- Mentoring of team members and peer work review, ensuring quality of the team's output and encouraging skills development within the team.
- Lead small teams of engineers to drive projects to completion using agile principles.
- Operational support of the JUMO data platform to ensure continuous overall system integrity.
- Software design and development
- Distributed systems architecture
- Technical leadership
- Application of Agile principles
- Effective communication of technical concepts
- B.Sc. (Computer Science), B.Sc. (Electrical Engineering) or equivalent
- 7+ years of experience in software design and development with at least one of the following languages: Python, Scala, Java, and Golang;
- 5+ years of experience developing distributed software systems;
- 3+ years of experience processing and curating large data sets;
- Object orientated and functional programming paradigms;
- Continuous integration environment;
- Server-less architectures and processes is advantageous
- AWS services is advantageous
- Agile working environment is advantageous
- Understanding of data processing architectures such as Kappa and Lambda architectures;
- Keen interest in technologies in the big-data space, so as:
- RDBMS and SQL
- Cassandra, DynamoDB, InfluxDB
- Bulk storage services such as AWS S3
- Apache Spark, Hadoop, Beam, and Flink
- Productive within a Linux command line environment
Method of Application
Interested and qualified? Go to Jumo World career website on boards.greenhouse.io to apply