The Aga Khan University is a private, autonomous university that promotes human welfare through research, teaching and community service initiatives. Based on the principles of quality, access, impact and relevance, the University has campuses and programmes in Kenya, Tanzania, Uganda, the United Kingdom, Afghanistan and Pakistan. Its facilities include teaching hospitals, Faculties of Health Sciences with Schools of Nursing and Midwifery and Medical Colleges, Institutes for Educational Development, an Examination Board and an Institute for the Study of Muslim Civilisations. The Graduate School of Media and Communications, the East African Institute, the Institute for Human Development and the Kiswahili Centre have been launched recently while several Graduate Professional Schools and Faculties of Arts and Sciences are to be set up in Pakistan and East Africa. Through its needs-blind admissions policy, the University imbues the most promising leaders and thinkers of tomorrow with an ethic of service and the skills to help communities solve their most pressing challenges.
Provide effective and high-quality administrative, organizational and content support to the Chair of the Department of Population Health to ensure a smooth, efficient and effectively run Department by demonstrating initiative in planning, organizing, management and operations, in liaison with the other AKU entities.
This position is a first point of contact for the Chair, Population Health and the Department for internal and external enquiries. The role requires excellent multicultural communication skills and a thorough grasp of the administrative function.
- Provide support for the day to day activities of the Chair and the running of the department
- Serve as a main point of contact for the Chair for internal and external parties
- Manage the Chair’s daily schedule
- Arrange meetings for the Chair, ensuring agenda and documents are distributed in a timely manner. On needs basis, participate in meetings, make and distribute minutes and follow-up any actions
- Draft letters and memoranda for final approval by the Chair
- Prepare invoices, payments and expense claims for the Chair
- Update and follow up delegated tasks to ensure progress to deadlines
- Prepare and distribute departmental annual reports
- Participate in the preparation of draft budgets
- Assist with the completion of special projects e.g. gather and compile information and data as instructed by the Chair
- Provide academic Support to faculty, staff and students
- Support the smooth running of the MSc. in Population Health Science programme and other academic programs, including students’ selection process and administering
- Continuous Assessment Tests in liaison with Faculty
- Assist the Chair in ensuring the appropriate administrative requirements are met for donors and clinical research activities (e.g. Standard Operating Procedures in place)
- Maintain Master site file for clinical research activities
- Proofread scientific proposals and donor reports for structure and language
- Liaise with the Human Resources Department in the process of recruitment, hiring, leave scheduling and Training of faculty and staff
- Ensure timely documented annual appraisals and letters of Expression for faculty and staff in the department.
- Maintain staff departmental files and update them as necessary
- Maintaining the department’s leave schedule
- Process faculty and staff requisitions when positions fall vacant and make follow ups to ensure timely replacement
- As required, participate in the recruitment, hiring, training and supervision of part-time and volunteer support staff
- Ensure faculty/staff contracts are up-to-date.
- Communicate written and verbal matters appropriately
- Manage incoming calls to the Department of Population Health and route calls for proper assistance; Arrange for "callbacks" at appropriate times
- Prepare correspondence; arrange courier of international mail
- Prioritize for action and process responses
- Check deadlines on incoming requests and put preliminary work in place
- Handle all enquiries within ones capacity
- Schedule Appointments/Meetings/Workshops for faculty and students
- Maintain an electronic calendar: scheduling and monitoring all appointments/meetings for the Chair
- Departmental meetings: prepare agenda in advance, arrange meeting facilities, prepare and distribute minutes of the meetings and make follow-ups on action items
- Organizing seminars, workshops, training sessions and performing support roles during the sessions
- Arranging travel and accommodation for faculty and staff
- Arrange for travel and accommodation (both local and international)
- Manage timely reimbursements of claims as guided by Policy
- Process visa applications
- Process travel advance and reimbursements
- Data Management & General Office Administration
- Routinely re-order department supplies
- Manage shared drive document control and filing
- Bachelor’s degree from a reputable institution with a minimum of 3 years’ working experience in a similar role preferably in a University or International Health organization
- A Diploma in Project Management
- Certified evidence of professional continuous learning reflecting ongoing development of skills, abilities, and knowledge
- Proven competence working with Microsoft Office Software
- Demonstrated high sense of confidentiality
- Excellent communication skills – written and oral in English and Swahili
- Demonstrated coordination skills
- Attention to detail and the ability to work in a fast paced environment with competing priorities
- Demonstrated experience in advanced scheduling
Method of Application
Interested candidates should submit a Cover letter, detailed Curriculum Vitae, names and email contacts of three professional referees, telephone contact, e-mail address and copies of relevant academic certificates as well as transcripts to, the Manager, Human Resources, Aga Khan University’s Campus Nairobi, Kenya. P. O. Box 30270-00100 or by email to firstname.lastname@example.org .
Applications by email are preferred.
Only short listed candidates will be contacted.