VSO is the world's leading international development organisation that works through volunteers to fight poverty. Working in 24 countries around the world, our unique role in international development is to place committed volunteers with carefully selected organisations where their skills can have the greatest impact. Our extraordinary volunteers live and work in some of the world's poorest communities. Sharing their unique skills and experience to generate new ideas and new ways of doing things, helping the communities they work in lift themselves out of poverty. We're not about delivering quick fixes, but instead we focus on long-lasting, sustainable change, that will impact generations to come. Join us and help us work towards our vision of a world without poverty.
- Budget management-
- Support the Finance department in effectively managing the project budget.
- Support the Finance department in accurately phasing the annual budget on quarterly and monthly basis based on the project work plan.
- Monitoring budget to actual expenditures, producing regular and special budget reports, performing various budget analyses, calculating budget adjustments caused by revised projections and advising team project manager and management appropriately.
- Coordinating the preparation and monitoring of budgets for the project as per both internal and external formats, on monthly, quarterly and annual basis.
- Financial Support and control;
- Ensure accurate and timely input of financial data to ensure sound financial reporting and management. Reviewing and posting all field staff liquidations in Sun system
Ensure all payment vouchers are well supported, approved invoices, LPOs, requisitions, quotations, and other supporting documents.
- Prompt response to and processing of financial queries from staff, volunteers, suppliers and partners.
- In close coordination with Field project staff maintains a system to monitor and forecast cash requirements to meet administrative and project expenditures.
- Establishes monthly cash requirements for the field staff and make a timely replenishment.
- Ensuring that the VSO financial policies and procedures are complied with by all parties and helping in identification of gaps and working with the HOFO on how to address the gaps.
- Ensuring regular monthly Grants meetings, financial monitoring in the field are undertaken and any findings and recommendations are implemented in good time.
- Maintain an organised and effective financial filing system for all Finance documents including vouchers.
- Grant Management and Financial Capacity;
- Manage the donor reporting timetable for the project/program and ensure reports are produced in a timely manner
- Support and advise partners in submitting their reports and accountabilities
- Checking of accountabilities submitted by volunteers and staff against budget and query of any variances.
- Understand the donor rules and regulations and ensure all staff and volunteers are following and complying with donor and VSOK rules for the grant.
- Support the Project Business Advisor to produce and submit the donor reports on time.
- Support the finance manager to produce high quality monthly management reports for the Head of Finance, Country Director and the Region based finance team, advising on any variances.
- Provide excellent, analytical monthly and periodic Grant status reports to the Project Business advisor and other VSO offices as required.
- Work with the HOFO in ensuring that all activities, preparations and follow-up with respect to donor audits are done on time.
- Full-fill other appropriate level responsibilities as defined by the Head of Finance from time to time
Desired Skills and Experience
- Technical Accounting Expertise-Degree in Accounting, Finance or related degree.
- Good technical accounting skills. At least 3 years' experience of financial planning, book keeping practice and principle, knowledge of internal controls, general ledger, cash management and reconciliations, payroll processing and taxation. Experience of financial reporting, measurement and analysis.
- Experience of rules and regulations for non-profit organisations. Knowledge of donor financial reporting and donor procurement procedures.
- Experience of working in multiple foreign currencies and understanding of foreign exchange hedging.
- Experience of field work and supporting partners and staff at the front line of operations.
- Financial and Information Technology Systems - Advanced knowledge of Microsoft Office, Excel particularly. Use of accounting software, SUN Accounts system preferred.
- Communication and Influencing Skills-Good written and verbal communication skills - able to listen, present, discuss, report, put views forward, negotiate with confidence. Sensitivity to cultural and language differences, able to interact with people at all levels of the organisation. Able to work with others in a consultative way, ability to withstand and resolve conflict, negotiating professional solutions. Commitment to VSO's work and values
- Decision Making and planning - professional judgement and discernment. Capacity for inquiry, research, logical and analytical thinking, powers of reasoning and critical analysis. Experience of decision modelling.
- Risk Management - Experience of identifying and analysing financial risks.
- Planning and Organisation - Able to prioritise within restricted resources to tight deadlines. Able to anticipate and adapt to change. Strong attention to detail. Ability to work independently with minimal supervision. Self-motivated to set initiatives and self-learn.
Competencies and Behaviour
At VSO we believe progress is only possible by working together. Whether you want to join us as an employee, or as a volunteer working in your own country, overseas or online, our selection process includes an assessment based on these core competencies:
- Ability to be open minded and respectful
- Ability to be resilient and adaptive to new situations
- Ability to facilitate positive change and build sustainable working relationships
- Ability to seek and share knowledge
VSO promotes equal opportunities and values a diverse workforce.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified? Go to Volunteer Service Overseas (VSO) career website on www.aplitrak.com to apply