Africa is our home, we drive her growth. What does this mean for a brand that is 155 years old? It means that we know, understand and believe in Africa and all her opportunities. We see the potential it has for our people, our customers, entrepreneurs and those who are as passionate about investing in Africa as we are. Our family extends across 20 countries in sub-Saharan Africa and we nurture some of the most skilled, innovative and creative minds in the industry.
The role of Manager, Investigations is to perform fraud risk management in minimising the impact of financial crime and integrity misconduct through timeous high quality investigative interventions.
This would include protecting the Bank's assets and interests from acts of fraud and misconduct including mitigating present exposures; providing a first class forensic investigatory service to stakeholders;
Consequence managing person(s) who have committed acts of fraud or dishonesty against the Bank through internal disciplinary process and/or criminal/civil litigation and adhering to the Standard Bank Group (SBG)
forensic investigatory standards (in accordance with the forensic investigation manual) and capabilities in line with international best practice.
- Performing Financial Crime Investigations
- Appropriately plan and scope the investigations to ensure adequate investigatory focus;
- Appropriately control, secure and reference evidence acquired during forensic investigation;
- Consult with Group Investigations and Fraud Risk subject matter professionals to ascertain the best course of action for the Bank;
- Perform information and admission seeking interviews of SBG personnel and other parties (where required);
- Draft for review and present Executive Summary and Factual Finding report feedback to senior internal stakeholders;
- Present, where required, evidence in disciplinary enquiry, civil court and/or criminal court based on factual findings reports from investigations;
- Adopt, where appropriate, a litigation support role in respect of investigations in which the SBG wishes to adopt legal proceedings;
- Implement and maintain Forensic Investigation standards in accordance with best practice;
- Maintain absolute confidentiality over investigatory information;
- Satisfy Board Audit Committee and Executive Committee reporting requirements in terms of investigatory progress and updates;
- Engage with stakeholders and manage stakeholder expectations in terms of investigatory processes;
- Perform, where required, peer reviews of investigatory files and process; and
- Perform fraud awareness and fraud prevention/detection presentations to key stakeholders as and when required.
- Assess and identify control environment weaknesses
- Perform post fraud control reviews to identify the weaknesses in the control environment which led to/facilitated the financial crime or misconduct;
- Identify and recommend system/control/people/technology control improvement identified during investigations;
- Maintain timeous input to the control repository tracking tool;
- Engage with the appropriate internal and external stakeholders to ensure timeous implementation of control recommendations, thereby mitigating future incidents.
- Responsible for effective internal and external stakeholder management
- Build and maintain credible relationships with internal and external stakeholders ensuring their issues, objectives and priorities are reflected in the agreed solution.
- Stakeholders include various business units, Legal, Compliance, Risk, Group Investigations & Fraud Risk management, Law Enforcement, Regulatory bodies as well as peers in local banks.
- Engage with stakeholders effectively on all matters relating to fraud while managing adherence to agreed SLA’s.
- Maintain effective working relationships with other business units, providing input to business discussions, decisions and identifying/implementing initiatives to enhance business performance in relation to Group Investigations & Fraud Risk.
- Deliver exceptional customer service to our investigation team members and other business units.
- Process and Case Management on Investigations
- Adhere to a proper process of case management to ensure that investigation goals and objectives are reached, law enforcement and other legal requests regarding the gathering of evidence and time lines are adhered to.
- Attend all relevant Stake holder meetings in country.
- Regularly liaise with Law Enforcement Intelligence Services to gather information regarding the movement of suspects (locally and internationally), new trends, crime threats and modus operandi that are identified.
- Manage and monitor weekly staff suspension list, suspension not to exceed 30 days.
- Provide Management with consistent and accurate reports regarding fraud trends, market related information regarding fraudulent activities.
- Be proactive in supporting the different Business Heads by obtaining a proper understanding of the various products and product procedures. Constantly provide information regarding crime patterns and modus operand in the industry.
- Ensure that the proper case dockets are compiled for registration with the law enforcement agencies. This will ensure prompt response from law enforcement to effect arrests, recovery of assets and circulation of suspects or stolen goods.
Preferred Qualification and Experience
- Degree in Finance and Accounting from a recognised University
- Professional Qualifications: CPA, ACCA, Certified Fraud Examiner (CFE) accreditation
- 5-7 years experience in Financial Crime Risk Management
- Exposure to roles in Financial Crime Risk management that are accountable for developing and implementing policies, processes and activities that limit the Group's losses as a result of financial crime.
- The risk management areas encompass prevention of money laundering, terrorist financing, internal fraud, external fraud, identity theft, bribery and corruption and the effective implementation of international sanctions
Influence industry norms
The incumbent will be required to ensure alignment with agency banks through relationship with the Kenya Bankers Association Committees on Fraud thereby ensuring alignment of fraud/risk strategies.
Engagement is deemed to include notification of progress against the financial crime control strategy in terms of response initiatives. In high profile matters the incumbent will be require to, as a subject matter expert, provide advice to the line managers and internal and external stakeholders, of the findings resulting from the forensic investigation and consequence management
Using the Group’s internal policies/legislation, the incumbent will be required to make decisions on non-compliance.
Identifying, clarifying/defining and working through challenges towards a defined outcome.
Recognize the interdependencies between areas, identifies cause-effect relationships reflecting the ability to think into integrated solutions. The incumbent will possess an acceptable level ability in problem solving in respect of the investigation of acts of fraud, theft and corruption in low risk matters;
The incumbent will have to work in situations communicating with often difficult stakeholders (Customers Internal & External); The incumbent will be under pressure to deliver investigatory reports for review under tight timeframes; Ability to make judgement calls under pressure and time constraints from investigation stakeholders and able to work independently when requested to work outside the office on low risk matters
Requires analysis, interpretation and significant judgement
The incumbent will have a responsibility for planning and execution of low and high risk financial crime investigations including the maintenance of their working papers and reports.
Planning of daily workload in line with agreed target, process and procedure.
The incumbent will be guided by Group policies and procedures to understand where staff have contravened/breached same.
These policies and procedures form the framework within which the Manager will be required to make decisions and apply discretion in consultation with (where applicable) line management, Human Capital, Employee Relations, Business and his/her line manager.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified? Go to Standard Bank Group career website on careers.peopleclick.eu.com to apply