Colgate-Palmolive is a global company serving people in over 200 countries and territories with consumer products that make their lives healthier and more enjoyable. Colgate manufactures and markets oral care, personal care, home care and pet nutrition products under such internationally recognized brand names as Colgate, Palmolive, Speed Stick, Lady Speed Stick, Softsoap, Irish Spring, Protex, Sorriso, Kolynos, elmex, Tom’s of Maine, Sanex, Ajax, Axion, Fabuloso, Soupline and Suavitel, as well as Hill’s Science Diet, Hill’s Prescription Diet and Hill’s Ideal Balance.
No Relocation Assistance Offered
# 73809 - Nairobi, Nairobi Municipality, Kenya
SCOPE OF RESPONSIBILITY
The Team Leader is responsible for sales, profitability and 5P's in-store execution for their business. They must develop and support the partnership between CP/Direct Retailers and/or Service Providers (Direct WS, Indirect WS, Distributors and Merchandisers), helping to align our category and brand strategies and their shopper strategies at the POS (Direct and Indirect retailers) to increase demand and their support for our profitable growth through the right planning process. They must ensure we get our products into the store, off the shelf, and into the home of our consumers cost effectively and more efficiently than our competition
- Managing and setting the team’s objectives (within the local Go-to-Market, Sales Strategy and Global Customer Strategy framework) and ensuring that the team delivers the overall team mission and goals, while building CP’s & the Customer’s mutual business, and working together to satisfy target consumer/shopper needs
- Defining the specific roles of individuals within the team, promoting teamwork and ensure the team is motivated to deliver results
- Establishing specific KPIs and ensuring tracking methods and communication are in place, and setting specific action plans for each team member to support their achievement of the team KPIs
- Managing a monthly meeting in which the team’s mission and objectives are reviewed to ensure progress & alignment towards overall company goals, and where specific issues and KPI performance are discussed and action plans refined
- Providing coaching and feedback and ensuring adequate training to team members; evaluating performance and developing IDPs, advising on career paths and providing opportunities for development, acting as a role model and reinforcing desired behaviors
- Communicating the team perspective to subsidiary commercial and business planning processes
Customer(s) Expertise & Relationships
- Developing a thorough understanding of the values, strategies and policies of the customer and anticipating future direction and needs in order to set long term objectives for the team
- Fostering the development of retail environment and shopper expertise in order to identify opportunities and present compelling arguments in support of CP products & plans
- Developing a network of contacts throughout the customer organization in order to influence all decision points within the customer(s), improving understanding, increasing data access and ensuring frequent face-to-face contact: Buying, Merchandising, Marketing, Finance, Inventory Control, Distribution and Transportation, IT and Store Operations
- Identifying the short-term business needs and objectives of key contacts and helping develop and sell proactive business solutions across the full demand/supply chain
- Facilitating frequent Top to Top contact between Customer(s) and CP senior management to ensure strategic alignment
Business Development & Monitoring
- Preparing and conducting any annual negotiations. Supervising other types of negotiation (new products, shelf management etc) to ensure timely resolution
- Defining and executes customer investment strategy, striving for “pay for performance” and improved ROI. Implements and controls the Terms & Conditions framework for the customer(s).
- Ensuring team works with Customer Marketing and Consumer marketing to translate category plans by retail environment into customer business plans that deliver team objectives, focusing investment behind demand-generating activities
- Influencing the customers to grow sales, take fact-based decisions, and improve service by utilizing new techniques, tools, and information systems (e.g., category management, scanning, etc.)
- Consistently applying Category Management learning and techniques to day-to-day business, exploitation of new opportunities, and using Category Management as the context for all “selling stories”
- Ensuring team maintains accurate projections vs. plan of sales and spending associated with activities and manages total P&L performance in order to achieve targets
- Ensuring post-evaluation (through Direct Reports) of ALL promotions (results vs. objective, implementation accuracy etc), supporting with qualitative commentary, communicating results to the commercial team, and using the results of promotion evaluations to refine customer tactics
- Identifying opportunities to improve supply chain efficiency, gaining resource approval and agreeing specific plans with the Customer
- Ensuring “winning at the shelf” is a top priority for the team, and that 5P tactics and demand marketing initiatives are executed with excellence at the point of sale
- Monitoring 5P execution performance (availability, pricing, share of shelf etc) and ensuring issues are quickly resolved by the team
CBP – Commercial Goal Setting and Strategic Investment Reallocation
- Develops customer investment strategy, consistent with Retail Environment strategy, brand strategy, and Shopper Insights
- Provides substantial input in translating bottom-up brand plans into Customer/CPG targets
- Provides CPG/Customer insights in the development of commercial guidelines and category/brand strategies and targets
CBP – Account Planning/Pre-evaluation
- Leads the translation of top-down account targets into 18-month rolling bottom-up account plans, incorporating customers’ objectives and creating joint, ‘win-win’ account plans
- Ensures pre-evaluation of 5P activities in account plans to maximize potential return on total customer investment
- Monitors development of action plans to close account gaps, and leads customer planning gap review meetings with Commercial Planning team
- Responsible for instituting ROI mindset among the entire team to ensure focus on maximizing productivity of investments
CBP – Account Execution
- Oversees the execution of 5P strategy implementation within established commercial guidelines
CBP – Post- Evaluation
- Develops deep insights and actionable recommendations from
post-evaluation analyses and ensures learnings are incorporated to account(s)/RE strategies
- Ensures systematic post-evaluation of 5P activities and develops detailed understanding of the effectiveness of different investment levers
(e.g., for promotions to calculate lift, ROI, cannibalization effects,
forward buying/pantry loading and all other relevant metrics)
Basic Qualifications (required Education, Experience, Skills Etc)
- A minimum of a Bachelor's degree is required. Post graduate qualification in Business and/or a Masters in Business Administration is desirable
Level Of Experience
- 8 – 10 years’ experience in commercial roles – Customer Development, Distributor Management, Field Operations Team Training within reputable multinational FMCG companies
- 3- 5 years’ experience in managing cross cultural and functional Customer Development Teams in reputable multinational FMCG companies
- Experience in driving solid organic growth in Net Sales as well as solid track record in managing full business P&L achieving set Key Performance Indicators for at least 5 sub Saharan Africa countries, preferably Angola, Mozambique, Malawi, Zambia, Zimbabwe, Tanzania, Rwanda, Uganda and Madagascar.
- Exposed to global leadership programs or multinational corporate leadership programs with Exposure to senior leaders/Top managers
- Proficiency in the development of GTM for new products and exposed to sub Saharan Africa Markets.
- In-depth experience in Indirect Trade distribution working with both grass root teams and leadership teams.
- Must possess strong exposure in international and cross-cultural team work ethics.
- Must have a minimum of 5 years’ experience in managing Customer Development organisations in multi-national and multi-cultural settings.
- Must have strong communication skills and be comfortable interacting with staff, management and our various stakeholders (regulatory stakeholders, customer, business partners, shareholders, etc.) and preferably exposed to sub Saharan Market.
- Planning & Priority Setting
- Analytical Decision Making
- Strategic Thinking
- Trade Understanding
- Business and Financial Analysis
- Promotional Effectiveness
- Field execution
- Managing Ambiguity
- Consumer/Customer Focused
- Cross Organizational Collaboration
- Managing People
- Communicate Effectively
Equal Opportunity Employer
Colgate is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, ethnicity, age, disability, marital status, veteran status (United States positions), or any other characteristic protected by law.
Are you interested in working for Colgate-Palmolive? You can apply online and attach all relevant documents such as a cover letter and resume or CV. Applications received by e-mail are not considered in the selection process. Become part of our team. We look forward to your application.
Colgate-Palmolive is a leading global consumer products company, tightly focused on Oral Care, Personal Care, Home Care and Pet Nutrition. Colgate sells its products in over 200 countries and territories around the world under such internationally recognised brand names as Colgate, Palmolive, elmex, Tom’s of Maine, Sorriso, Speed Stick, Lady Speed Stick, Softsoap, Irish Spring, Protex, Sanex, Elta MD, PCA Skin, Ajax, Axion, Fabuloso, Soupline and Suavitel, as well as Hill’s Science Diet and Hill’s Prescription Diet.
For more information about Colgate’s global business, visit the Company’s web site at
Reasonable accommodation during the application process is available for persons with disabilities. Please contact Application_Accommodation@colpal.com with the subject "Accommodation Request" should you require accommodation.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified? Go to Colgate-Palmolive career website on jobs.colgate.com to apply