British American Tobacco is one of the world’s leading multinational companies, with brands sold in over 200 markets, made in 44 factories in 42 countries.
We are proud that we are consistently among the top 5 companies on the London Stock Exchange.
Our portfolio includes our world-famous Global Drive Brands – Dunhill, Kent, Lucky Strike, Pall Mall and Rothmans – along with many other leading international brands, such as Vogue, Peter Stuyvesant and State Express 555.
Alongside our traditional tobacco business, we are also developing products that offer consumers potentially less risky alternatives to regular cigarettes. Our Next Generation Products are already leading the way in the Industry of vapour and tobacco heating devices. We continue to develop a solid portfolio of consumer solutions which already include well known global brands like Vype, glo and Voke.
The main purpose of the role is to develop, implement and maintain an integrated management system that ensures best practice performance in environment, health and safety management within BAT Kenya establishments and in East & Central Africa Area End markets (ECA) in line with legal and corporate requirements.
- To champion EHS activities and standards, and to support the business in achieving high safety standards
- Ensure compliance with the relevant Environmental Health and Safety Legislation across the Area.
- Ensure that the leadership teams and line managers within ECA understand their EHS responsibilities and Performance of their respective jurisdiction.
- Give support and direction to line management that will ensure the identification and evaluation of existing and potential risks to the business arising from environmental impacts and health and safety risks by:
- Ensuring that linemanagers are appropriately trained.
- Work with line management to develop and implement agreed internal control systems procedures.
- Giving direction and focus for EHS activities to all BAT work processes and departments.
- Reviewing EHS management system periodically for compliance and progress.
- When problem areas or poor practices are identified, ensure that agreed corrective actions are fully implemented in a timely manner.
- Ensure that appropriate training materials are available for all employees, contractors and visitors to have a complete understanding of the procedures they must follow to safeguard the EH&S of employees, contractors and visitors during their working activities and presence on company premises.
- Develop and manage EHS budget and analyze deviations to ensure expenditure is in line with the business plan
- Carry out organizational reviews and workplace inspections/periodic internal self-assessment
- Monthly and quarterly submission of EHS reports for the Area to the Global BAT EHS reporting tools.
- Responsible for Business Continuity Plan.
- As a member of the Operations Leadership Team, contribute to the overall direction of the Company i.e. playing full part in the development of local strategy & direction setting and communicating that direction clearly.
- Give direction and advice to the Leadership team and the respective end market line managers with regards to EHS implementation and future plans.
- Regular meetings with different departments to discuss results and improvements in ways of working.
- Participate in coordinating firefighting and first aid team in the event of an emergency.
- Participate in coordinating the various statutory/corporate medical check-ups for staff and contractors onsite.
- Participate in preparation of risk assessments for the various sections within the area.
- To ensure compliance to BAT Guidelines as well as conformance with local legislation regarding buildings and fire safety – for the factory site, as well as the department
- Develop an environment which seeks continuous improvement, from ideas which come from not only within the department but the rest of the factory and other BAT locations
- Develop and implement: best practices, common platforms, sharing experience/knowledge with other functions and factories within Operations.
- Development of ideas and procedures that will enhance the EHS awareness.
Knowledge, Skills and Experience
- First Degree in Engineering, EHS or related course
- A minimum of 4 years’ experience in Manufacturing Industry
- Excellent Communication & interpersonal skills
- Deep understanding of Legal Health & Safety guidelines
- Good knowledge of data analysis and risk assessment
- Experience in Managing teams
Method of Application
Interested and qualified? Go to British American Tobacco (BAT) career website on careers.bat.com to apply