BirdLife International is the world’s largest nature conservation Partnership. Together we are 123 BirdLife Partners worldwide – one per country or territory – and growing. We are driven by our belief that local people, working for nature in their own places but connected nationally and internationally through our global Partnership, are the key to sustaining all life on this planet. This unique local-to-global approach delivers high impact and long-term conservation for the benefit of nature and people.
BirdLife International is seeking to recruit an enthusiastic and experienced invidual for the position of Communications Manager. The main responsibilities will be to engage, educate and inform targeted external audiences about the BirdLife Partnership’s work and priorities, through creative use of various mediums, including the website, social media and print materials. In addition to this, they will also lead the development and implementation of communications strategy for the BirdLife Partnership in Africa and work with global communication teams and other stakeholders to support the implementation of BirdLife International Communication Strategy (2018-2022).
- Lead the development and implementation of communications strategy for the BirdLife Partnership in Africa
- Provide creative, editorial and operational support for communications projects and events, in cooperation with relevant colleagues
- Manage projects to ensure content is publication-ready and in by the deadline
- Become the focal point for communications for BirdLife Partners in the Africa region, developing and maintaining contacts and assisting in the amplification of national issues on a regional and global scale
- Supporting the implementation of the Regional Plan for the Africa Partnership (2019-2022) and flagship initiatives in Africa.
- Create awareness of the BirdLife Communication Strategy (2018-2022) within the Partnership and ensure it is delivered with consistency
- Maintain awareness of and familiarity with the latest cutting edge digital and social media tools and developments to keep Birdie’s digital presence innovative and compelling
- Source content for publication across various BirdLife channels, including social media, the website, newsletter and magazine
- Develop and maintain the BirdLife International website, including updating, sourcing and producing new content and campaign-specific websites
- Provide assistance to Partners in developing communication strategies and the production of communication tools and materials that are needed to meet specific national requirements
- Manage, promote and ensure increased use of BirdLife’s internal communication channels
- Ensure lessons learned, best practices, case studies are captured from the partners and communicated among partners and public audience
- Build relationships with regional media, and assist in the dissemination of global press releases
- Provide assistance in organizing interviews, press briefings, roundtable discussions, launches and other major advocacy and awareness events
- Updating the mailing/distribution lists and the Africa Contacts Booklet (E-Copy
- Assist with monitoring analytics, data entry and overall management of communications database
- Any other duties assigned by the line manager
- As part of the One BirdLife Team, support with any other communications projects and activities and perform other duties and tasks as required, consistent with the skills and expertise of the post holder, in non-routine circumstances
Required skills, experience and qualifications:
- Relevant BA/BSC degree in journalism, media, communication or other relevant field. An additional qualification in the field of conservation and experience related to training would be an advantage
- Proven knowledge of working effectively across a range of media platforms
- Over 5 years of communication experience, preferably in the conservation sector with track record of producing high-quality communications outputs to deadline
- Excellent organisational and planning skills, with motivation and ability to adhere to deadlines, ability to work with diverse sectors
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to work as part of a team.
- Flexibility, adaptability and ability to work independently
- Good computer skills including the use of internet, social media and web design; video editing skills will be advantageous
- Fluency in oral and written French and English, speaking Portuguese will be advantageous
- Willingness and ability to travel
Salary & benefits:
Commensurate with experience and qualifications and in accordance with BirdLife International, Africa Division terms and conditions. .
Length/duration of this position:2 years
Location: Dakar, Accra or Nairobi
Working hours: Full time 40 hours per week
Date when the job expected to start: August 2019 -negotiable
Application deadline: 3 July 2019
Method of Application
Applications, including a covering letter summarizing the applicant’s suitability for the position, a detailed CV and names and contact addresses of three referees known to the applicant in a professional capacity, should be sent via email before the to: firstname.lastname@example.org by the application deadline.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.