Planned Parenthood Global (PP Global) is the international division of Planned Parenthood Federation of America (PPFA), an international non-governmental organization working in the field of sexual and reproductive health and rights (SRHR). For 40 years, PP Global has been working in Africa to ensure that vulnerable women and young people have access to comprehensive SRH information and services. By partnering with medical service providers and youth champions, and helping to build local organizations and networks, PP Global works to find innovative ways to deliver critical services.
The Africa Regional Office (ARO) of PP Global seeks to recruit a Program Officer, Advocacy. Under the supervision of the Regional Program Director, Advocacy, the Program Officer, Advocacy will provide technical assistance to non-governmental partners to conduct advocacy activities that will lead to increased access to reproductive health information and services, particularly to marginalized groups, such as youth and women of reproductive age.
Duties and Responsibility:
- Provide and support technical assistance to Africa advocacy partners. This includes but is not limited to:-
- The identification of partner capacity needs, support to partners in the conceptualization of new projects and design and implementation of innovative advocacy strategies.
- Support to advocacy partners in the development of annual project documents and budgets.
- Review of quarterly progress and financial reports submitted by partners to ARO.
- In consultation with the ARO program learning team, work with partners to develop a monitoring and evaluation framework that assesses the impact of their projects and helps in the development of new activities.
- Participate in advocacy on behalf of ARO at local, regional and international forums and work to enhance the visibility of its work.
- Write program reports relating to advocacy work as required.
- Collaborates with regional and HQ staff on writing proposals to donors.
- Writes articles and abstracts for publication and presents at conferences on behalf of PPFA and country partners in order to raise visibility and to develop a greater understanding of our work.
- Stays updated on service delivery and advocacy issues relevant to PP Global projects.
Education: A degree in law with relevant program management certification from a recognized organization
- At least 5 years demonstrable experience in advocating for legal and policy reforms and the ability to mobilize relevant stakeholders to advance advocacy efforts on SRHR.
- A sound understanding of the legislative and judicial processes to achieve impact.
- Evidence in identification of innovative strategies in response to the dynamic nature of legal and policy reforms. Relevant experience in project management, including project conceptualization, implementation, supervision, monitoring and evaluation, as well as reporting to internal and external actors.
- An understanding of the African human rights system would be an added advantage. Preference will be given to candidates with some knowledge of legal processes in Francophone Africa as well as NGO experience and working in multi-sector programs.
Related Skills or Knowledge: Must have excellent communication skills in English with French as an added advantage. Ability to work through teams and independently. Should have strong time management skills and ability to multitask with a keen attention to detail.
Other Requirements: Ability to travel a minimum of 35% time.
Method of Application
Please send your application cover letter, curriculum vitae with three references and salary history via email to firstname.lastname@example.org with Program Officer, Advocacy as the email subject by Friday, June 21, 2019. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Planned Parenthood Global is an equal opportunity employer.