Mabati Rolling Mills Ltd (MRM) is the flagship company of SAFAL GROUP, which is the leading manufacturer of flat and long steel products in Africa. Safal was incorporated to consolidate the operation of several allied companies in Kenya, Uganda, Tanzania, Ethiopia, South Africa, Zambia, Angola and Malawi.
Mabati Rolling Mills Ltd. is seeking to recruit a Design Manager.
The candidate must have the ability to work independently with minimal supervision, demonstrate high integrity and professional ethics and make decisions on the role in a prudent manner.
Overall Purpose of the Position: To set engineering philosophy & manage the key engineering processes to ensure quality buildings are supplied to the market at minimum risk for the business.
Approve all key engineering changes to our design software.
Key Performance Areas:
- Approve the design & development of all engineering changes to design software.
- Ensure that our systems are user friendly and idiot proof for use by our channels.
- Test & confirm that design & engineering systems are robust & meet required codes & the needs of our channel partners & business.
- Recommend new product lines & solutions for target markets.
- Work within the business to ensure that channel partners are adequately trained & that the supply chain is optimized for 100% IFOT delivery of solutions.
- Develop departmental KPIs around like Material efficiency (Kg/m2 or $/m2), design efficiency (mins/design, designs/day), design errors (% of order) & capture rate (% of quotes) as required. Set up systems to track KPIs & suggest plans for improvement
- Be the “Go to person” for the business for complex solutions.
- Engage with the local specifier community (Eng, Arch, QS etc) to get acceptance & accreditation of the companies chosen design philosophy, products & solutions.
- Be the certified engineer of record for all designs or develop a system that delivers this functionality.
Minimum Qualifications and Experience Requirements:
- Degree in Structural Engineering / Civil Engineering / Construction Management.
- Computer Literacy (MS Office, CAD & Other design software)
- Master degree in Structural Design or related course.
- 6 – 8 years of working experience on Structural Engineering Applications or Projects.
Personal Attributes specific to work requirement:
- Strong oral & written communication skills
- Ability to influence with integrity & win people with new way of thinking
- Methodical and analytical approach
- Excellent communication skills
- Good business understanding
- Team working and team management ability
- Excellent project management skills
- Good organization and problem-solving skills
Method of Application
Qualified applicants should submit a comprehensive CV, together with a covering letter supporting their application to firstname.lastname@example.org by 30th June 2019.
Please note that only short-listed candidates will be contacted.