- Preparation of cost estimates and budget proposals in terms of staff and non-staff requirements for regular budget and extra-budgetary resources under UNON Administration;
- Monitor budget implementation and performance and recommend reallocation of funds as necessary;
- Ensure that requisitions for goods and services are in line with authorized budgets, the priorities of the organisation and the UN financial rules and regulations;
- Review requests for creation and extension of positions as well as requests for recruitment;
- Assist in the execution of cost recovery in line with established agreements and policies and support on the collection of associated receivables;
- Perform certifying functions of financial transactions as per delegation.
- Responsible for the processing of financial documents in line with the financial rules and regulations;
- Review and analysis of various accounting data, financial statements input and preparation of reports;
- Scrutinize supporting documents for completeness, accuracy and validity of requests in line with applicable policies, procedures, rules and regulations;
- Verify accuracy of postings and process corrections as appropriate;
- Analyse and monitor open item managed accounts (OIM) in the ERP system (Umoja), initiate and coordinate corrective action;
- Perform approval functions of financial transactions as per delegation.
- Prepare and analyse reports with a view to identify anomalies and unusual trends and recommend corrective action as appropriate;
- Perform data extraction and prepare various reports for management review;
- Respond to queries and draft correspondence in relation to budgetary and financial matters from management, clients (internal and external), auditors and other stakeholders and ensure timely responses to clients’ requests and queries through iNeed
- Ensure that accurate and complete accounting; reporting and internal control systems are functioning; Ensure that all relevant records and audit trails are maintained;
- Act as team leader and provide day-day management and supervision, training and guidance to other general services staff;
- Provide support to Unit Chief in the planning of unit and team staff work plans, monitor and report performance against the plans and key performance indicators
- Knowledge retention and quality assurance focal point for the team;
- Perform other related duties as required by Section or Unit Chief.
- Professionalism: Knowledge of, and ability to apply financial rules, regulations and procedures in the UN environment; Knowledge, skills and ability to extract, interpret, analyse and format data across the full range of finance and budget functions; Shows pride in work and in achievements; Demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; Is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; Is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; Shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; Remains calm in stressful situations.
- Client Orientation: Considers all those to whom services are provided to be “clients” and seeks to see things from clients’ point of view; establishes and maintains productive partnerships with clients by gaining their trust and respect; identifies clients’ needs and matches them to appropriate solutions; monitors ongoing developments inside and outside the clients’ environment to keep informed and anticipate problems; keeps clients informed of progress or setbacks in projects; meets timeline for delivery of products or services to client.
- Accountability: Takes ownership of all responsibilities and honors commitments; delivers outputs for which one has responsibility within prescribed time, cost and quality standards; operates in compliance with organizational regulations and rules; supports subordinates, provides oversight and takes responsibility for delegated assignments; takes personal responsibility for his/her own shortcomings and those of the work unit, where applicable.
- Teamwork: Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organizational goals; solicits input by genuinely valuing others’ ideas and expertise; is willing to learn from others; places team agenda before personal agenda; supports and acts in accordance with final group decision, even when such decisions may not entirely reflect own position; shares credit for team accomplishments and accepts joint responsibility for team shortcomings.
- High school diploma or completion of secondary school is required. Supplemental courses/ training in in finance, administration, project management or related field is required.
- Passing the Global General Service Test (GGST) is an advantage for consideration in the General Services and related categories in the United Nations Secretariat.
- Applicants who have not passed the GGST at the time of application may be invited for the test after submitting an application.
A minimum of ten years of progressively responsible experience in finance, budget or related area is required. Working experience with the Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) and finance system such as Oracle or SAP and experience with International Public Sector Accounting Standards (IPSAS) is desirable. Knowledge and experience with the process of Financial Reporting,possession of a recognized accountancy qualification (e.g. Certified Public Accountant (CPA), Association of Chartered Certified Accountants (ACCA), Chartered Institute of Public Finance Accountants (CIPFA) will be an added advantage. Experience with complex data analysis and reconciliations would be highly desirable.Experience with integrated business processes, analytics and reporting is a desirable.Working experience with business intelligence tools is an asset ,data management and monitoring skills as well as experience in supervising a team would be an added advantage.
- English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. For the post advertised, fluency in oral and written English is required.
- Knowledge of another official United Nations language is an advantage.
Evaluation of qualified candidates may include an assessment exercise which may be followed by competency-based interview.
Appointment against this post is on a local basis.This job opening is only open to the staff members of the United Nations Secretariat who (1) serve in the duty station specified in the job opening;
Appointment against this position is for an initial period of one year and may be subject to extension. Staff members are subject to the authority of the Secretary-General and to assignment by him or her. In this context, all staff are expected to move periodically to new functions in their careers in accordance with established rules and procedures.
Internal Applicants – When completing the form, ensure ALL fields, ALL professional experience and contact information are completed and up to date. This information is the basis for the hiring manager to assess your eligibility and suitability for the position and to contact you.