Requisition ID: GSK-TASD-052
Reports To: Technical Officer, Systems Specialist (GIS, mHealth) Project: HIV Service Delivery Support Activity – Rift Valley
The Technical Assistant-Systems Development will be part of the M&E team at HIV Service Delivery Support Activity - Rift Valley and will work under the direct supervision of the Technical Officer, Systems Specialist (GIS, mHealth). Under guidance of the Technical Officer, Systems Specialist (GIS, mHealth), he/she will lead the design and maintenance of a comprehensive information resource for programs and reporting of complex information. Provide advice on
software and hardware needs. He/she will participate in other activities related t HMIS, research,
targeted evaluation, surveillance surveys and monitoring and evaluation as well as provide assistance and training t system users.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS: DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Database Design and Development:
- Develop new and/or adapt existing computerized performance reporting systems, including enhanced user interfaces and compatibility across reporting systems using Java, Access, Visual Basic and SQL in response t meet project information needs
- Install developed applications, writes application manuals, and train users. Provides ongoing maintenance and support t users of database applications.
- Provides assistance t staff in database design based on technical knowledge of field.
- Provides adequate documentation of database applications.
- Perform needs assessment and works with Technical staff at project and implementing partner level t determine feasibility of development of new databases and enhancements or modifications t existing databases
- Develops and ensures adherence t data management policies e.g. USG t ensure the security and confidentiality project data.
- Monitors staff compliance with confidentiality policies t assure that security standards are met.
- Maintains project databases for routine data, reporting data quality and service quality assessments.
- Monitors and optimizes database design, content, structure and other management issues.
- Performs backup and recovery of all databases. Takes appropriate measures t ensure the
- security of the data.
- Recommends hardware and software upgrades to the database server as needed.
- Hardware and Software:
- Assists in the management of hardware and software as related t the operations of the databases, including system development and maintenance, recommends purchase of new hardware and software maintenance of records and reports relating t database operations and data/project archives. Provide leadership in the use of major health and medical related software.
- Perform miscellaneous job-related duties as assigned by the Supervisor or Project Director
REQUIREMENTS: KNOWLEDGE, SKILL AND ABILITIES
- Experience in database development, management of information systems and health informatics
- Experience in developing mobile applications
- Experience using new online technologies for knowledge sharing and collaboration is a plus.
- Demonstrated experience assessing users’ data needs and designing user-friendly IT solutions t promote strategic decision-making throughout the project life cycle.
- Experience in training users on databases
- Keen t maintain data security and data quality systems
- Good planning and organizational skills
- Tact and diplomacy in dealing with implementing partners
MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS STANDARDS:
- Degree in Computer Science, Health informatics, Mathematics or a related field with at least
- 2 years’ hands on experience OR Advanced Diploma in Software design or related areas with
5 years’ experience
- Professional experience in database design and development using SQL (MySQL, MSSQL, JavaDB, PostgreSQL).
- Advanced skills in at least tw of the following statistical packages: SPSS, Epi Info, Stata.
- Computer proficiency in word processing, Excel, and Ms Access
- Knowledge and/or experience with GIS analysis technologies (ArcGIS, QGIS).
- Knowledge and/or experience with open source software (ODK, DHIS2, Kob Toolbox) is an added advantage
- Demonstrated ability t transfer knowledge through informal and formal trainings.
Gold Star Kenya has a competitive compensation package and is an equal opportunity employer. Interested candidates are encouraged to apply via email to: GSKenya-HR@goldstarkenya.org and please specify source in your application and quote the Requisition ID ( provided on the subject line while sending your application, CV/resume including salary requirements, to be received not later than 20th July 2019.