Terra Moyo International School is a nature-based school that offers an alternative education model based on a unique integrated pedagogic approach. Our mission, is to support children in becoming independent, mindful, critical and creative problem solvers of tomorrow’s world and to take the lead of their own education by promoting intrinsic motivation.
Our vision is to allow children to have unlimited access to nature and to choose the activities they are interested in within the framework of the termly theme. Our classes are open with no doors to give the children the possibility of a full immersion natural experience. We adopt an age-integrated approach and we currently have 3 groups: 18 months-3Y, 3-6 Y, 6-8 Y.
Duties and Responsibilities:
The duties and responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Provide a nurturing and stimulating environment where children are free to explore their own interests and grow.
- Create and adapt the classroom and playground environments to enhance intentional learning opportunities that reflect children’s culture, interest, and needs.
- Design and create innovative and stimulating learning materials.
- Supervise and manage children both inside and outside the classroom, always giving freedom to the children to choose the activity they want to do in the framework of the curriculum.
- Coordinate with school staff to develop and carry out lesson plans for children to develop their social, emotional, physical and intellectual skills, as well as small groups, focus time for academic topics (literacy, numeracy, etc.).
- Facilitate class activities and individual/group focus time sessions as planned, encourage children’s ideas and scaffold their understanding through problem-solving, representational work, and conflict resolution.
- Observe the children and interpret their needs. This includes: monitor and track children's progress on a regular basis, prepare termly evaluations and termly personal learning plans for every child.
- Treat all children equally and with the same importance level despite gender, background, skills, and abilities.
- Coordinate regular communication with parents about their children’s progress and challenges.
- Provide management with weekly lesson plans.
- Participate in weekly team and staff meetings.
- Participate in extra activities such as capacity building initiatives, training, team building, school parties, and events, open house days, etc. as instructed by the management.
The ideal candidate should hold a minimum of either an ECDE diploma or a PGCEI degree and knowledge of Terra Moyo’s 4 core approaches (Montessori, Reggio Emilia, Waldorf, Forest Schooling). They will be an excellent team player but also able to work independently showing creativity and innovation. They will be committed to knowledge sharing with the teaching team and striving to continuously improve on a personal and professional level. The person we are looking for should have excellent planning skills and the flexibility to keep those plans fluid to eventually adjust them in accordance with their student’s interests and inputs. The candidate will enjoy working outdoors, get inspiration from the natural environment and they will be able to prepare activities that are proper to every season.
- Bachelor of Education/Diploma in ECDE or equivalent
- At least 1 year of experience as a qualified teacher for children between the age of 18 months to 3 years
- Have the physical capacity and willingness to work with pre-school/kindergarten aged children outdoors and also under adverse weather conditions
- Must be able to kneel, bend, squat, lift, push, pull and carry children up to 70lbs
- Exceptional communication skills in English (speaking and writing), and computer literacy skill
- Knowledge of best practices in early childhood education and a commitment to pursue continuous professional development
Method of Application
Send motivation letter with a short description about yourself, main strengths and weaknesses (max 1 page), CV with 3 references (max 4 pages), copies of academic certificates and TSC registration (for Kenyan applicants) to email@example.com
Please indicate the vacancy reference in the email subject (Teacher).
Applications will be reviewed as they are received. Applications received after the deadline or incomplete will not be considered.
Please note that only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
We look very much forward to hearing from you!