The BBC is an international multimedia broadcaster on radio, TV, online and social networks with a weekly global audience of 320 million. As part of an historic and exciting expansion of BBC Africa, the BBC World Service has launched new Business daily and weekly TV programming and innovative digital content in English, Swahili and French language
We are looking for a creative and motivated Business Editor to lead the Africa Business Unit for ten months. You will need to have excellent knowledge of business affairs in Africa, global business, and a deep understanding of what audiences are looking for in digital and social media business coverage as well as a real nose for original, creative journalism.
- To co-ordinate, plan, guide and inspire all business related coverage across the Africa Service and lead on major business news.
- To editorially lead TV and digital business content for Africa
- To deploy, lead, manage, train, recruit and develop the staff.
- To manage commissioning and production budgets effectively.
- To be a key point of liaison with BBC Business, particularly the Global News Business
- Editor and the Business interactive team.
- To encourage original journalism and distinctive, innovative content and share it with the wider BBC
For More Information Please Read The Job Description
Are you the right candidate?
- Excellent track record of delivering high impact, multiplatform Business content for an African audience.
- The ability to deliver editorial innovation and develop great digital and TV content and stimulate new thinking about business journalism.
- Experience of leading and managing a team of journalists.
- Experience of managing budgets and observing tight financial targets.
- An understanding of major international business and how to maximize their potential.
- Establish and develop strong working relationships with colleagues in the Africa n Service, Global News, BBC News, BBC Business, and across Language hubs.
- Strong planning, negotiation and influencing skills and the ability to co-ordinate and plan business coverage from major events.
- Strong communication skills.
Contract: 10 Months. Local terms and conditions apply.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified? Go to BBC World Service career website on careerssearch.bbc.co.uk to apply