IREX is an independent nonprofit organization dedicated to building a more just, prosperous, and inclusive world by empowering youth, cultivating leaders, strengthening institutions, and extending access to quality education and information. Founded in 1968, IREX has an annual portfolio of over $90 million, offices in 20 countries, and a global staff of 400. We work in more than 100 countries worldwide.
IREX seeks qualified Program Director candidates for an anticipated three-year, community-based interventions program that aims to reduce terrorist radicalization. The program will address individuals who appear to be highly vulnerable to or demonstrate signs of terrorist radicalization, but who have not yet committed terrorism-related crimes. The Program Director will be based in Mombasa and will oversee all programmatic aspects, ensuring that objectives are met on time and within budget.
This position is contingent on funding. Citizens of Kenya are highly encouraged to apply.
Duties And Responsibilities
- Provide strategic and technical leadership to the program and the team; provide dynamic and creative leadership to bring innovation to rigorous program implementation;
- Serve as the principal liaison with the program donor, as well as with key partner officials, other donors and implementers, civil society partners, and other stakeholders;
- Develop and maintain effective partnerships with local and national organizations and Government;
- Ensure project activities are implemented on schedule and within budget;
- Supervise, manage, and mentor project staff and work in close coordination with IREX’s home office;
- Oversee project budgeting, financial management, and compliance;
- Oversee monitoring, evaluation, and reporting of program activities;
- Represent IREX publicly and support its organizational development;
- Other duties, as assigned.
Skills And Experience
- At least 7 years of progressive experience, including management experience in international development with experience working in Kenya and/or the region;
- At least five years in a relevant technical position, designing and implementing programs with a focus on preventing violent extremism and or, community led programming;
- Successful track record of supervising, designing, managing, and implementing complex donor-funded technical assistance projects (with preference for past U.S. Government-funded project management experience);
- Ability to establish strong working relationships with U.S. and local government officials, local civic leaders, community leaders and other stakeholders;
- Proven leadership qualities and excellent management skills;
- Demonstrated ability to track and manage budgets and plan both strategically and creatively to meet project objectives;
- Familiarity with the political, social, economic, and cultural context of working in Coastal Kenya preferred;
- Fluency in written and spoken English and Swahili;
- A bachelor’s degree in a related field, such as International Development, International Security, Political Science, Public Policy, Public Administration, Economics, Social Sciences, etc.; an advanced degree in a related field is preferred;
Method of Application
Interested and qualified? Go to IREX career website on jobs.jobvite.com to apply