Founded in 1979, Action Against Hunger (ACF) is an International Humanitarian Organization that delivers programs in over 44 countries. Recognised worldwide as a leader in the fight against hunger, our mission is to save lives through the prevention, detection, and treatment of malnutrition, especially during and after emergency situations and conflicts. From crisis to sustainability, Action Against Hunger tackles the underlying causes of malnutrition and its effects. By integrating our programs with local and national systems, we further ensure that short-term interventions become long-term solutions. With head offices in France, the United Kingdom, Spain, the United States and Canada, our international network shares its combined resources, breadth of experience and technical expertise in pursuit of a world without hunger.
Action Against Hunger has been present in Kenya since 2001 and is a transformative leader in nutrition security for improved quality of life among vulnerable communities. Action Against Hunger wants to contribute to the optimal functional performance of National, County, and Community systems through strategic partnerships for innovative nutrition-sensitive and nutrition-specific interventions to achieve its impact. Action Against Hunger is currently implementing activities in West Pokot, Mandera, Samburu, Isiolo, Trans Nzoia, Kakamega, Bungoma and Busia counties.
The Health & Nutrition Coordinator reports hierachially to the Country Director and Technically to Regional Technical Nutrition Advisor.
The Health & Nutrition Cordinator’s core responsibilitie will include;
The Nutrition and Health Coordinator; has the overall responsibility and accountability of operationalizing the strategic vision of the Nutrition and Health Department. This will be in line with the International Strategic plan as well as Action Against Hunger Kenya Country strategy. Key roles will include; Strategic engagement with stakeholders at country level, advocacy in line with organization’s nutrition security policy, proposal development with country teams and management, technical oversight, representing and positioning the organization in external and internal fora enhancing integrated and holistic approaches. He/She will also play a key role in ensuring technical quality and soundness of country actions in line with relevant national policies, protocols and procedures.
- Objective 1: To contribute to the overall Country strategy and vision of Action Against Hunger Kenya
- Ensure a clear vision for nutrition and health that incorporates government, donor and nutrition sector needs plans and strategies at both county and national levels.
- Ensure a broad understanding of the nutrition agenda at country level, while leveraging on global Action Against Hunger agenda.
- Pro-actively engage with the program teams in strategic review meetings and ensure that clear vision of nutrition sector is articulated in the different areas of implementation with an aim to enhance capitalization of lessons. This will involve engaging in lessons learnt from field visits, recommendations from various reports with the aim of identifying opportunities to strengthen nutrition approaches and strategies to support the nutrition vision.
- Lead Nutrition and Health team in the formulation of country strategy, technical frameworks while ensuring integration with other sectors, articulation of emerging issues to maximize impact in programming.
- Contribute content to Action Against Hunger’s publication and visibility to strengthen the organization’s strategic brand presence.
- Objective 2: To represent and position the organization in external and internal for a
- Stategically engage with relevant stakeholders at national level, in line with communication lines stipulated for information sharing, positioning in close liaison with the Regional Nutrition Specialist (RNA) and the Country Director (CD).
- Establish and maintain good relations with all relevant stakeholders.
- Appropriate and strategic representation of Action Against Hunger in Nutrition and Health technical meetings and working groups; with updates /actions taken up in a timely manner.
- Ensure that viable linkages are established with other nutrition sensitive platforms and fora e.g WASH, agriculture, livestock, gender, environment.
- Support in development and negotiation of MoUs at the county, country and regional levels where necessary.
- In liason with the advocacy team, identify specific policy gaps and/opportunities where Action Against Hunger’s work can have an impact
- Act as a nutrition advocate and ensure that Action Against Hunger positions, and plays an influencing role in relevant fora at the county, country and regional levels where necessary.
- Participate in other coordination meetings with strategic partners on need basis
- Work closely with civil society and other partner organisations and allies in country to coordinate policy reviews and implementation.
- Represent Action Against Huner in National coalitions and consortia relevant to nutiriton and health lead issue area(s), such as Scaling Up Nutrition (SUN), as agreed with supervisors.
- Contribute to building the capacity of country partners to carry our successful advocacy and policy influencing on development issues.
- Objective 3: To enhance integrated, innovative, effective, inclusive and cost-effective programme/project designs
- Ensure that information sharing on new program development acquired from the meetings and technical forums is shared adequately with respective teams and applied accordingly by various recipients.
- Actively participate in liaison with supervisors in analysing calls for concepts and proposal and reaching on a go/no-go decision.
- Participate/Lead as needed in designing gender responsive proposals and concepts and ensure involvement of other technical and support departments. The design should ensure needs are representative of the community and incorporates county development integrated plans and other views of the communities per the needs.
- Provision of technical justification of new nutrition programs/activities as needs arise in collaboration with the Regional Nutrition Specialist and Country Director.
- Objective 4: To ensure program integration with FSL, WASH and other cross cutting issues with the aim of ensuring an integrated and holistic approaches
- Represent/lead the health and nutrition team in multi-sectoral initiatives and designs.
- Ensure the project design reflect high level of synergies with other sectors and contributing to a common goal/vision of the organization.
- In liaison with the Country Director, organize together with other technical leads in country lessons learnt forum to exchange information on the situation analysis, assessment recommendations, new donor strategies and other emerging issues to support integration opportunities and identify connectors for quality programing.
- Ensure that adequate feedback by other sectors (WASH and FSL) is given during nutrition assessments with the aim of ensuring that the tools, procedures and findings are well triangulated and reflect the true picture of the situation on the ground.
- Ensure that the nutrition and health department is well represented in fora, workshops and meetings that involve integration of activities and clear lessons drawn to improve programs.
- Objective 5: To provide technical oversight and oversee validation processes within the Nutrition and Health department.
- Ensure external documents and reports developed (monthly technical coordinators report, donor reports, evaluation reports, assessment reports among other documents) are technically sound and adhere to donor’s rules and regulations and program’s proposal objectives.
- Oversee validation of the technical manuals and guidelines used within Action Against Hunger programs, and promotion of new technical protocols in compliance with organization’s nutrition specific and sensitive policies.
- Provide direction and support to the nutrition and health teams in relation to day to day operations of nutrition and health programming.
- Oversee the technical quality of the nutrition and health activities with respect to Action Against Hunger protocols and guidelines.
- Support technical staff, partners and other stakeholders in implementing nutrition and gender components of projects/programmes to ensure that the project/programme intervention is gender transformative and nutrition sensitive.
- Objective 6: Enhance effective relationship and integration with support departments in Nairobi (Finance, Logistics and Human Resources)
- Work closely with the Finance, Logistics and Human Resource Department in planning, forecasting and effectively communicating financial and operational issues to internal and external stakeholders during the implementation of projects.
- Liaise with the Logistics Head of Department, Head of Region (s) and Nutrition/Health Teams in ensuring adherence to logistics procedures and requirements
- Identify key areas of training for the nutrition and health staff and provide recommendation to human resource department
- To participate in recruitment of key nutrition/health related positions and others with high level of integrity based on competencies.
- Masters in Nutrition or Public Health or
- Bachelor’s degree in Nutrition or Public Health with more than 7 years’ experience.
- Must be registered with the Kenya Nutrition and Dietetics board.
SKILLS & EXPERIENCE
- At least 5 years’ experience as a senior nutrition program manager or a senior technical specialist
- Excellent analytical, organizational and coordination skills.
- Experience in team management including capacity building, supervision and performance evaluation
- Fluency in English with good verbal and written communication skills. Ability to communicate and negotiate effectively. Communication skills ( written, oral and cross cultural)
- Experience working with national, provincial and local authorities in Kenya.
- Previous experience with Action Against Hunger preferred though if not available strong experience with an international humanitarian agency would be acceptable.
Method of Application
Applications, including CV with cover letter and 3 professional references to be sent via email to:
email@example.com clearly mentioning the position on the subject line. e.g Nutrition Coordinator.Please note that this recruitment is on rolling basis.
Only Shorlisted candidates will be contacted for interviews.
Female candidates are encouraged to apply