REPORTS TO: Head of IT Infrastructure
DEPARTMENT: Information Technology
- Internal – IT team members
- External – Key client contact persons.
WHAT WORK WILL BE DONE IN YOUR ROLE
- Innovation Work: To be agreed with the supervisor
- Improvement Work: To be discussed and agreed with supervisor
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Database Performance:
- Monitor performance and manage parameters in order to provide fast response to queries.
- Use automated tools effectively to interpret the state of databases and extract areas of improvement.
- Take charge of writing and optimizing in-application database statements.
- Write and optimize queries to retrieve data from MongoDB.
- Implement a strategy for speedy data retrieval that combines relational and NoSQL datastores.
- Map out the conceptual design for a planned database, considering both backend organization of data and front-end accessibility for clients.
- Refine the physical design to meet storage system requirements.
- Carry out capacity planning for the database.
- Implement a data warehousing strategy
- Write database documentation, including data standards, procedures and definitions for the data dictionary (metadata)
- Generate daily, weekly and monthly reports as discussed with your supervisor.
- Communicate regularly with technical and operational staff to ensure database integrity and security.
4. Data Security:
- Control access permissions and privileges on production databases.
- Maintain the data recovery aspects of a database.
- Refine the logical design of the databases so that it can be translated into a specific data model.
- Maintain data standards, including adherence to any data protection legislation.
COMPETENCIES, SKILLS, QUALIFICATIONS, EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE
- Capable of configuring popular relational database systems and orchestrating clusters as necessary.
- Ability to plan resource requirements from high level specifications
- Familiar with tools that aid with profiling server resource usage and optimizing it.
- Proficient in using Git.
- Provable two years of experience working with NoSQL datastores (MongoDB preferred)
- Provable four years of experience working with PostgreSQL.
- Skilled at optimizing large complicated SQL statements.
- Knowledge of best practices when dealing with relational and NoSQL databases.
- Proven ability to work under pressure and meeting tight deadlines
- Flexible and mature approach with ability to work unsupervised
Education, Qualifications & Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or equivalent.
- Certification in any relational database system.
- Training in Mongo DB is an added advantage.
- Ability to write code in any contemporary language is an added advantage.
KEY PERFORMANCE INDICATORS
- Data protection measures taken, successfully tested.
- Data retrieval performance measurable improvement.
- Turnaround of business requests within Metropol IT SLA.
- Any other as discussed with your supervisor.