Terre des Hommes Netherlands (TdH-NL) is an international NGO committed to stopping child exploitation. In East Africa, Terre des Hommes Netherlands works in Kenya, Uganda, Tanzania and Ethiopia. We support child victims of exploitation with education, psychosocial support, legal assistance, shelter, job opportunities and medical care; while at the same time targeting highly vulnerable children, who are at risk of being exploited, in our prevention activities. We launch public and media campaigns to create awareness on our focus issues and carry out local research into the extent and nature of abuse and exploitation of children.
TdH-NL in East Africa works within four child protection themes: the Commercial Sexual Exploitation of Children (CSEC), the Worst Forms of Child Labour (WFCL), Child Trafficking and Migration (CTM), and Child Abuse (CA) in the form of Sexual and Reproductive Health Rights. Through collaboration with local civil society organisations (CSOs), TdH-NL implements development, humanitarian/relief and advocacy interventions in various parts of Kenya, supported by own TdH-NL funding and funding from various foundations and institutional donors.
Position in the Organisation
The Project Officer - CSEC Coast works under the Kenya Country Office. The position is based in Kilifi County and receives hierarchical leadership from the Programme Officer (PO) to whom he/she reports who is based in the TdH-NL Kenya Country Office in Nairobi. The PO acts as the point person for the coordination, communication, monitoring, reporting and liaison with partners Trace Kenya and Kesho Kenya in the implementation of TdH-NL’s Commercial Sexual Exploitation of Children (CSEC) Project; and other development and humanitarian actors as well as authorities in consultation with the Line Manager.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
- Support implementation of the CSEC Project in the Coast
- Liaise with the implementing partners to ensure timely, efficient and effective implementation of the CSEC project.
- Undertake field monitoring visits in collaboration with the implementing partners to the project sites.
- Ensure efficient use of project resources and fulfillment of programme and finance commitments as per the partner contract.
- Monitor the context in Kwale, Kilifi, Kwale and Mombasa vis a vis the development and humanitarian situation as well as child protection concerns and provide feedback and advice to the PO and others as appropriate for decision making.
- Programme results for the partner and programme portfolio
- Support and monitor the project partner through regular communication and programme visits and ensure that programme and finance commitments as per partner contract are being fulfilled. Liaise with the TdH-NL Finance and Administration Officer regarding budgets and expenditure.
- Ensure that all scheduled partner and project reports such as progress and financial reports are delivered timely and that they are of good quality, according to Terre des Hommes Netherlands’ standards, analyse the received information and compile the necessary reports.
- Support the Regional Marketing and Communication Officer at the TdH-NL Regional Office with information and materials for marketing and communication, e.g. news items (case stories, articles) and photos.
- Inform relevant persons/organisations/institutions on support given to project partners, project activities and expected results. Maintain the database and regularly update project documentation/ files for reference by all concerned.
- Capacity building of partners
- Apply Terre des Hommes Netherlands’ tools in organisational assessment, M&E and capacity building.
- Together with the project partners identify areas for further improvement on management and/ or programme quality and define frameworks, procedures and indicators oriented towards improved organisational and project management by the partners.
- Guide project partners and give direction so that partners improve on quality of work, efficiency, effectiveness of the desired outputs and sustainability of results.
- Safeguard project quality by maintaining an overview of supported projects and evaluating the quality of work and results. Ensure that project partners follow the terms and conditions of the signed partner contract; facilitate them to keep track of key factors in project management, implementation and monitoring of results.
Knowledge, Skills, Experience and Behaviours Necessary to achieve role purpose
- Bachelor's degree in development studies, project management, child rights, or relevant fields
- Minimum of three years of experience in a similar position
- Experience with Child Rights based programming is an advantage
- Experience with Lobby & Advocacy
- Proven experience in capacity building of Civil Society Organisations
- Knowledge of and experience in project cycle management, including the use of Theory of Change and other planning tools
- Experience with financial management
- Strong interpersonal communication skills - excellent writing and oral skills in English
- Planning, organising & cooperation, performance oriented
- High degree of taking initiative and working independently
- Showing initiative
- Showing the initiative to take action and get the job done before that is asked of you.
- Level 2: Handles extra duties on own initiative outside own job description, identifies problem areas in task execution and makes improvement proposals.
- Planning & Organising
- The effective alignment of activities, time and resources to achieve objectives.
- Level 1: Plans and organises own work in a logical way.
- Performance orientation
- Focused on goal setting and active achievement of results.
- Level 1: Works in a goal-oriented manner and within a framework aimed at achieving results.
- Can contribute to a collective result, even when there is no personal benefit at stake.
- Level 2: Works together at own initiative to make a contribution to the achievement of shared
Method of Application
Please send your motivation letter and curriculum vitae quoting your expected gross remuneration by e-mail to: email@example.com clearly demonstrating how you meet the qualifications for this position, no later than by Wednesday, 31st July, 2019. For more information about this position, you can contact us through the same email address.
Please note that this is a national position. Applicants must be able to provide proof of the right to live and work in Kenya.
Kindly also note that due to the expected large responses only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
The selection procedure will include an assessment test, and checking of recent professional references.