Sanergy is an award-winning social venture that builds healthy, prosperous communities by making hygienic sanitation accessible and affordable in Africa’s urban informal settlements.
Our systems-based approach to solving the sanitation crisis involves five key steps: we build a dense network of low-cost, high-quality waterless sanitation facilities – called Fresh Life Toilets.
We franchise the toilets to community residents, who run them as commercial toilets; landlords, who offer them as a value-added service to their tenants; and schools, to ensure children always have access to a safe sanitation option.
We provide critical support services – such as access to finance, business analytics, training and aspirational marketing and branding. We collect the waste regularly and safely remove it from the community for treatment.
We convert the waste into valuable end products, such as organic fertilizer and insect-based animal protein, which we sell to Kenyan farms. We launched our first toilet in November 2011, and we now have a network of over 2700 active Fresh Life Toilets serving over 100,000 urban residents every single day.
We collect and convert over 6,000 tons of waste every year. At the same time, we have built a team of 250 dedicated team with diverse backgrounds. Our work has been recognized by Fast Company as one of the 10 Most Innovative Companies in the World Doing Social Good and one of the 10 Best Companies in Africa.
We are an increasingly sophisticated, highly intricate organization with many moving parts. Sanergy seeks accomplished, driven individuals who will make substantive contributions to the organization.
We currently seek a clerk of works with Mechanical / Electrical background who will work on the construction of East Africa’s largest organics recycling facility.
A typical day for you might include the following
- Assist the Project Manager with monitoring contractors in relation to site, contractual and statutory requirements and ensure contractors are aware of their subsequent responsibilities.
- Monitor the work of contractors and their supervisors on an ongoing basis providing input and suggesting adjustments based on instructions from others to ensure that contractors management take positive action to maintain safety, health and environmental arrangements to the highest possible standard.
- Monitor contractor compliance based on documents reviewed / endorsed by others to ensure controlling documents submitted for review and endorsement are commented on prior to the commencement of work.
- Assist with the delivery of the construction discipline phase of the project, meeting safety, cost,programme dates and quality objectives and ensuring any corrective actions required are taken.
- Report progress to the Project Manager and manage appropriate records for safety, contractual and quality control and assurance. Overall progress will be reported up to Project Manager on a weekly basis.
- Assist with input and maintenance of the Construction Phase Plan as required to meet current Kenyan legislation.
- Participates in discussions to support effective communication and coordination, liaise on interface working and ensure that site work overall is planned and coordinated to achieve construction programme dates.
- Maintain records for use in adjudication on applications for contract enhanced or reduced payments.
- Verify the construction work and manufacture records to ensure the physical configuration of constructed plant (i.e. ensuring the design intent is met).
- Keep up to date with the latest construction techniques and technologies in order to bring about the most efficient delivery of construction on the site.
- Capture, share and apply construction best practices in order to improve capability and business performance in the medium and longer term.
- Proactive escalation
- Give directions/ instructions in writing to the Contractor or to his site agent on behalf of and in consultation with the consultants in respect of
- Interpretation of any consultant’s instructions, drawings, specifications or bills of quantities.
- The removal from the site of any work, materials or goods which are not in accordance with the contract.
- Matters of urgency involving the safety or protection of persons or property, and
- Any other matters in respect of which any consultant and/ PM is expressly empowered by the contract to issue instructions and on which the respective consultant has authorized in writing the Clerk of Works so to act
Skills and qualifications you’ll need
- Degree/ diploma in Mechanical or Electrical Engineering (or any other related discipline) with 5 years experience for Degree holders and/or 8 years experience for Diploma holderS.
- Significant relevant post-qualification experience in construction project as clerk of works for Construction projects containing significant Mechanical and Electrical Installations
- Demonstrated working knowledge or interest in the installation and operation of HVAC, boilers, chillers, water treatment, waste treatment and control systems is preferred.
- Experience in carrying out the duties of clerk of works/quality inspector
- Experience of all stages of the design and construction across a wide range of building types, including industrial buildings
- Good writing, client-facing and communication skills
- Well-organised, diligent, proactive, assertive, well-disciplined and commercially astute
- A team player with a ‘can-do’ attitude, outgoing, polite, patient, diplomatic, personable, respectful and flexible
Qualities you’ll need to fit in well among the Sanergy-Stars
- A collaborative spirit that compels you to work beyond your team
- A desire to understand and serve customers
- A willingness to embrace diversity, integrity and empathy
- An innovative approach to assessing and testing new ideas
- An enthusiasm to achieve set targets and improve yourself professionally
The perks you’ll have
- A holistic benefits package
- Unparalleled opportunities for personal and professional growth
- A unique chance to tackle critical challenges of sanitation, economic empowerment and food security
Method of Application
Interested and qualified? Go to Sanergy career website on careers.saner.gy to apply