The NRC East Africa & Yemen mission is an expanding programme.
NRC started its operations in Kenya in the refugee camps in Dadaab in February 2007.
NRC has WASH, Shelter, Education, Food Security and Livelihood and Information Counselling and Legal Assistant programmes implemented in the refugee camps in Dadaab and Kakuma.
Ref. nr.: 3498627279
Start date: 20/08/2019
Job location: Kakuma, 254
All NRC employees are expected to work in accordance with the organisation’s core values: dedication, innovation, inclusivity and accountability.
These attitudes and beliefs shall guide our actions and relationships.
Teachers will be reporting to the Education Officer
- To take the lead in implementation of the NRCs alternative education programmes.
- To conduct on-the-job teacher training and mentoring of inexperienced teachers. The teacher should be able to efficiently identify training gaps and complement and assist the teacher during lesson.
- Adhere to and promote NRC’s Child Safeguarding policy in your interaction with children under your care
- Conduct teaching in manner that promotes the social and emotional wellbeing of learners
- Teach all subjects to primary learners (normally slightly over-age) on alternative education programmes (accelerated, catch-up) at primary level with the aim of them returning to normal school to take the KCPE.
- To serve as a model and mentor for inexperienced teacher colleagues.
- To provide on-the-job training, mentor and supervise inexperienced teachers.
- Take the lead in guiding the teaching team on the lesson content while referring to the curricular provided.
- Document the day to day progress which is to be used for the improvement of the program.
- Deliver lessons and organize learning activity sessions in the subject of specialization.
- Together with the senior AEP teachers, prepare the learning scheme of work and required lesson plans
- Keep records of student’ attendance, progress and assessment.
- Prepare and administer continuous assessment tests and internal examinations to assess learners’ progress and knowledge assimilation
- Together the senior AEP teachers submit evaluations, attendance sheets and monthly reports to the Center leader.
- Ensure availability of all the necessary teaching aids and materials in liaison with the senior AEP teachers
- Remain up to date on pedagogical methods and ensure a child-friendly environment where each child’s need are identified and addressed.
- Monitor and support each learner and inform students of their progress.
- Maintain good communications with parents concerning the progress of their children.
- Any other duties that may be assigned by supervisor.
- Hold P1 Certificate/Education or recognized two-year Diploma in two of the following subjects: English, Kiswahili, Somali, Science, Mathematics, Social Studies or Islamic or Christian Religious Education. (Note the selected candidates will over all teaching subjects apart from language and religious studies).
- Have five years of teaching experience in Primary School
- High standard of English methodology including oral skills and teaching English to speakers of other languages.
Education field: Education
Education level: Academy college / University
Personal qualities: High level of personal integrity, cultural awareness & sensitivity and empathy for children.
- Duration of contract: One-year renewable, subject to funding
- Salary/Benefits: According to NRC’s general directions.
- The candidate will observe NRC’s code of conduct.
Qualified female candidates are particularly encouraged to apply
Method of Application
Interested and qualified? Go to Norwegian Refugee Council career website on www.webcruiter.no to apply