The Catholic University of Eastern Africa (CUEA), like most other universities, started in a modest way. It commenced as a graduate school of theology known as the Catholic Higher Institute of Eastern Africa (CHIEA).
The Institute (CHIEA) was founded in 1984 by the regional ecclesiastical authority known as the Association of Member Episcopal Conferences of Eastern Africa (AMECEA). Eritrea, Ethiopia, Kenya, Malawi, Sudan, Tanzania, Uganda and Zambia are the member countries of AMECEA.
To manage and oversee the University’s strategic planning process and facilitate resource mobilization and income generation;
To oversee proper administration and maintenance of the University facilities by ensuring efficiency and striving to cut costs in daily operations and in any impending upgrades.
Reports To: Special Advisor to the Vice chancellor.
KEY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Support the Special Advisor to the Vice Chancellor in the development of long-range strategies and plans, and coordinate monitoring and review of such plans;
- Develop and implement policies relating to strategic planning, strategic developments, resource mobilization and donor relations program;
- Develop annual plans for the University in line with the Strategic Plan, and ensure implementation, monitoring and evaluation of the development plans;
- Support the University with analysis and business planning to ensure continued growth/profitability, and evaluate potential business partnerships;
- Thoroughly assess new development opportunities both qualitatively and quantitatively, evaluating strategic fit, industry competition and financial valuation and impact;
- Gather information on and analyze the emerging opportunities and threats, and advise Management on timely basis;
- Identify, establish and sustain positive and mutually-rewarding relations and collaborations between the University and its donors, stakeholders and development partners;
- Design documents and implement a systematic and integrated donor relations program that encompasses donor recognition events, endowed position installations, and building naming dedications;
- Develop and coordinate an annual comprehensive work plan that will include specific fund raising goals and targets for proposals, appeals and campaigns with related functional areas at the University, and evaluate monthly reports from the sections;
- Develop fundraising strategies; and lead, coordinate and participate in efforts to identify, solicit funds and gifts, including major gifts occasional foundation/corporate grants, special events, endowment support and planned giving;
- Manage and develop marketing tools for the Learning Resource Centre and other University income generating facilities;
- Oversee the maintenance and repair of buildings, roads, motor vehicles, machinery, equipment, and electrical and mechanical systems;
- Oversee construction and renovation projects to improve efficiency and to ensure that facilities meet environmental, health, and security standards, and comply with government regulations;
- Ensure the University’s assets are properly maintained and are insured; and ensure that an assets register of all University property is maintained in liaison with Finance;
- Ensure proper management of disasters and timely response to emergencies in order for the University to operate without interruptions;
- Monitoring and supervision of the various service providers (cleaning, maintenance, motor vehicle) to ensure quality services and value for money;
- Routine inspection of property including fixtures and installed equipment to ensure the building structure and furnishings are in good state of repair and maintenance at all times;
- Prepare estimates for renovations and new works and solicitation of quotes from qualified service providers;
- Manage leasing of facility space in liaison with the Finance Division and ensure that a database of all estate related agreements, leases, contracts are maintained and updated;
- Liaise with the occupants of the premises to ensure they understand and adhere to terms and conditions related to the occupation of the buildings;
- Oversee the provision of general administration services at the premises e.g. transport, maintenance, catering and infirmary services;
- Ensure payments for ground rent, land rates, insurance premiums and all water and electricity bills are made promptly;
- Market the existing facilities to ensure optimal occupancy and use and market anticipated facilities;
- Prepare and manage annual recurrent and capital budget for the premises;
- Oversee the outsourcing of security services for the university;
- Perform any other duty as may be assigned by the Special Advisor to the Vice Chancellor.
- Work closely with the Special Advisor to the Vice Chancellor.
- Work with Deans and HODs.
- CUEA Consultancy.
- Build strong relationship with key stakeholders, donors and development partners.
KEY PERFORMANCE MEASURES
- Increased resource mobilization.
- Strategy development and implementation.
- Strategy evaluation.
- Well organized alumni.
KNOWLEDGE, EXPERIENCE AND QUALIFICATIONS
PhD in strategic planning, project management or related field with 5 years’ experience in strategy and operations or management consulting, project management or operations management, 3 of which should have been in a similar position.
- Master’s degree in strategic planning, project management or related field with at least 7 years’ experience in strategy and operations or management consulting, project management or operations management, 4 of which should have been in a similar position.
- Working knowledge of ICT will be an added advantage.
- Evidence of participation in community service.
- Experience in resource mobilization, networking and fund raising.
VALUES AND COMPETENCIES
- High level of integrity, professionalism and discretion when handling confidential information.
- Excellent organizational, analytical, negotiation, communication, interpersonal and strategic leadership skills.
- Outstanding managerial and administrative capability, with proven leadership skills.
- Ability to develop high level networks and partnerships.
- Demonstrate understanding of strategic planning, monitoring and evaluation process
- Business and entrepreneurial acumen.
- Effective business development skills.
- Demonstrable commercial and financial management experience.
- Excellent stakeholder management skills.
- Problem solving skills.
- Dynamic, mature, visionary and self-driven leader.
Method of Application
Applicants should enclose a C.V., copies of relevant certificates, transcripts, testimonials and three reference letters including one from the local parish to this email: email@example.com
Applications should reach the Human Resources Manager on or before 26th July 2019.
CUEA is an equal opportunity employer.
NB: Only shortlisted candidates shall be contacted.