Based in Ruiru, Kenya, BURN Manufacturing designs, produces and distributes Africa’s best-selling, most durable and economical charcoal and wood clean cookstoves. Not only do our products save money, fuel and natural resources, but also they dramatically reduce harmful indoor smoke emissions, which can cause significant health problems, even death.
BURN manufactures its products in sub-Saharan Africa’s only clean cookstove manufacturing facility. We are proud to employ 225 team members throughout Kenya and East Africa. Our workforce, which is 60 percent female, empowers women in roles traditionally considered to be “for men only.”
Since 2013, BURN has sold over 600,000 cookstoves in East Africa, which have helped more than 3 million beneficiaries save US$ 144 million in fuel expenditures and 2.5 million tons of wood while reducing indoor air pollution by 65%. BURN is experiencing strong growth and expects a 50% sales increase in 2019. We are planning to move from our current QB and Excel formats to a state-of-the-art ERP system.
We are looking for an experienced Senior Technician – Maintenance to be responsible for the proper installation and maintenance of all Plant and Equipment at Burn Manufacturing and Service facilities in Ruiru.
- The Senior Technician – Maintenance is responsible for the proper installation and maintenance of all Plant and Equipment at Burn Manufacturing and Service facilities in Ruiru. Duties include:
- Plant – Ensure proper Plant maintenance through the proper implementation of maintenance Procedures and Policies
- Equipment – Ensure proper Equipment Installation and Maintenance by working with, and according to, manufacturer’s instructions.
- Spares Warehouse – Maintain a Maintenance Spares warehouse
- Calibration – Set up and ensure a Calibration schedule for all tools
- Preventative Maintenance – Set up, implement and maintain a Preventative Maintenance database
- Team – Provide Training and Leadership to Junior Maintenance Technicians. Provide training in the safe and correct use of equipment to line operators as needed
- Fabrication – Assist in the design, and fabricate, all bespoke plant Fixtures, trollies and tables
- Compliance – Ensure that all junior technicians follow Quality Management System processes and procedures. Ensure that Safety procedures and Personal Safety Equipment are used at all times
- Every member of the Maintenance team takes responsibility for supporting the business needs above, which may require expanding responsibilities as needed, additional learning, and tackling new professional challenges beyond what is reflected in this Job Description.
- Higher National Diploma in Mechanical Engineering or other Technical Discipline. We will consider candidates with Diploma plus substantial job-related experience
- 5+ years Maintenance related experience in Manufacturing – Fabrication is a plus.
- An ideal candidate should combine technical skills in Plant and Equipment Maintenance with strong interpersonal and communication skills to work effectively as part of a team. They should be rigorous, pragmatic and on-the-ground solution focused
- Ability to work with professionalism and with precision while meeting strict deadlines
- Good oral and written communication skills
- Strong problem-solving skills
- Experience in Production systems – preferably in an ERP system such as Microsoft NAV
- Fluency in English (the working language of Burn)
- Fluency in Kiswahili (the national language of Kenya)
Desired start date: Flexible, but preferably July or August 2019.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified? Go to BURN career website on burnstoves.com to apply