Britam is a leading diversified financial services group, listed on the Nairobi Securities Exchange. The group has interests across the Eastern and Southern Africa region. The company offers a wide range of financial products and services in Insurance, Asset management, Banking and Property. The product range includes: life, health and general insurance, pensions, unit trusts, investment planning, wealth management, off-shore investments, retirement planning, discretionary portfolio management, Property development and private Equity.
This role provides Company Secretarial services to Britam Holdings PLC and ensures that the Board and Committee members receive support and the necessary advice for them to discharge their duties. The role also ensures that Britam and all its entities adhere to corporate governance requirements.
- Ensure compliance with Corporate Governance, Board charter, Memorandum & Articles of Association and all Regulations and Legislation;
- Liaison with the various regulatory agencies, including but not limited to the Capital Markets Authority, Retirement Benefits Authority & Insurance Regulatory Authority;
- Monitor changes in relevant legislation and the regulatory environment and taking appropriate action;
- Assist the Company Secretary to ensure compliance and that all annual returns and resolutions are filed as required by the Companies Act in the various jurisdictions;
- Assist in the maintenance of the statutory registers and other Company records of subsidiaries;
- Manage the service level agreements in relation to the share registrar to ensure satisfactory service and acting on the shareholder’s instructions;
- Assist in managing the service level agreements in relation to the outsourced company secretarial services in the Region;
- Assist in preparing the Annual Group Board & Committees calendar for roll out in the entire Group and assist in the preparation of the meetings;
- Assist the Company Secretary to prepare board papers;
- Preparation of minutes and extracting of various approved resolutions;
- Attend to administrative arrangements for the Annual General Meetings and any other shareholder meetings;
- Champion in the implementation of the E-board system;
- Provide monthly reports on all Company Secretarial matters; and
- Perform any other duties as may be assigned from time to time.
- Hold a current practicing certificate
- Master’s degree in law as an added advantage
- Bachelor’s degree in Law
- Diploma School of Law (Diploma KSL)
- Certified Public Secretary of Kenya CPS(K)
- An advocate of the High Court of Kenya holding a valid practicing certificate with a minimum of 6 years post admission experience
- 7 - 8 years working experience in a corporate organization within a Company Secretary function
- Deciding and Initiating Action - Ensures key departmental objectives are met, takes responsibility for decisions, actions, projects and people while focusing on achievement of departmental results; takes initiative and works under own direction; initiates and generates activity; makes quick, clear decisions with limited information available which may include tough choices or considered risks; decisions and actions take into account possible impact on all parts of the business.
- Leading and Supervising - Provides the department with a clear direction based on the overall strategic intent of the organisation; Building high expectations about the success of the department; motivates and empowers others with a clear sense of purpose; creates a positive departmental climate that fosters learning and development; acknowledges high potential talent; Recognize the potential of individuals sets and articulates the vision and values through own personal behaviour; Push autonomy and empowerment downwards through the department.
- Persuading and Influencing - Gains clear agreement and commitment from others by persuading, convincing and negotiating to the benefit of the department; promotes the organisational strategy during departmental conversations; makes effective use of political processes to influence and persuade others; promotes ideas on behalf of the department and the organisation; makes a strong personal impact on others; takes care to manage the department’s impression and brand on others.
- Adhering to Principles and Values - Upholds and encourages ethical behaviour and organisational values; demonstrates integrity; promotes and defends equal opportunities, builds diverse teams; encourages departmental and individual responsibility towards the community and the environment; models the organisational values during every day interactions
- Entrepreneurial and Commercial Thinking - Keeps up to date with competitor information and market trends; identifies business opportunities for the department; maintains awareness of developments, changes, Add value to the department by capitalising on new business opportunities; trends and possible risks in the department's structure and politics; demonstrates financial awareness; Identify ways to increase the Britam competitive advantage, exploiting those that will bring the greatest return within an acceptable level of risk; ensures costs are monitored and controlled and thinks in terms of profit, loss and added value; Ensure that sufficient data about financial and other parameters of departmental performance are available; Interpret departmental information objectively against appropriate benchmarks.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified? Go to Britam career website on britam.taleo.net to apply