Safaricom is the leading provider of converged communication solutions in Kenya. In addition to providing a broad range of first-class products and services for Telephony, Broadband Internet and Financial services, Safaricom seeks to uplift the welfare of Kenyans through value-added services and support for community projects.
We are pleased to announce the following fixed term contract opportunity in the Big Data and Business Analytics Department within the Strategy and Innovation Division. In keeping with our current business needs, we are looking for persons who meets the criteria indicated below.
Reporting to the HOD – Big Data and Business Analytics, the position holder will design, build and deliver on the big data platform which will serve as Safaricom’s single source of truth. The platform will be used to continuously deliver on Safaricom’s overall data analytics strategy. Safaricom is investing heavily in big data and this will be a truly exciting role in view of the organizations unique data set and position in this region.
- Design, architect and build solutions and tools for the big data platform
- Mediate and coordinate resolution of software project deliverables using agile methodology
- Develop pipelines to ingest data into the big data platform based on business demands and use cases
- Develop analytical platforms that will be used to avail data to end users for exploration, advanced analytics and visualizations for day to day business reporting
- Provide guidance and advise to technology teams on the best use of latest technologies and designs to deliver a best in class platform in the most cost effective way
- Develop automated monitoring solutions to be handed over to support teams to run and operate the platform efficiently
- Automate and productionize data science models on the big data engineering platform
- BS or MS in computer science or equivalent practical experience
- At least 2-3 years of coding experience in a non-university setting.
- Experience in Object Oriented development
- Proficient understanding of distributed computing principles
- Experience in collecting, storing, processing and analyzing large volumes of data.
- Experience with building stream-processing systems, using solutions such as Storm or Spark-Streaming
- Experience with various messaging systems, such as Kafka or RabbitMQ
- Experience with NoSQL databases, such as HBase, Cassandra, MongoDB
- Understanding of big data technologies: Cloudera/MapR/Hortonworks
As part of our recruitment process we will request the below documentation;
- An updated CV with a confirmation of three referees- 2 must be professional and must have supervised you at some point, the other referee can be a colleague in the same professional field. If the referees are within the same organization that you are working with, you will need to confirm to us that it’s okay to contact them in writing (via email). This also includes all references within the Human Resources department.
- Scanned copy of certificate of good conduct from the CID (Less than 1 year old) – Applicable to Kenyans Only
- Scanned copy of certificate from Credit Reference Bureau (CRB) – Applicable to Kenyans Only
- Scanned copy of University Certificate or letter from the University requesting for internship
- Scanned copy of your National ID / Passport – Legal Form of Identification
Method of Application
Interested and qualified? Go to Safaricom Kenya career website on safaricom.taleo.net to apply