The International Potato Center, known by its Spanish acronym CIP, was founded in 1971 as a root and tuber research-for-development institution delivering sustainable solutions to the pressing world problems of hunger, poverty, and the degradation of natural resources. CIP is truly a global center, with headquarters in Lima, Peru and offices in 30 developing countries across Asia, Africa, and Latin America. Working closely with our partners, CIP seeks to achieve food security, increased well-being, and gender equity for poor people in the developing world. CIP furthers its mission through rigorous research, innovation in science and technology, and capacity strengthening regarding root and tuber farming and food systems.
The International Potato Center (CIP) is seeking to recruit a highly skilled, results-oriented Logistics Officer to provide logistics and procurement support to CIP Sub-Sahara Africa Region.
The Position: The Logistics officer will be based at the CIP Regional Office in Nairobi, Kenya, and report to the Head of Project Management Unit and co report to the Logistics Manager based in Lima.
- Regional strategic thinking on implementing a holistic supply chain system, procurement planning, budgeting (and start-up planning for projects), capacity building for countries and partners on areas of supply chain/ procurement for various donors;
- Supervise supply chain officers to deliver quality, timely, effective and efficient support to research;
- In liaison with the Logistics Senior Manager in HQ, update the procurement policies within CIP to facilitate result-based management;
- Negotiation with Suppliers long term contracts;
- Identification of new suppliers for Africa;
- Follow carefully EU, USAID, African Development Bank Rules and Regulations as requested;
- Implement the Purchase Plan per year for each project in coordination with the PIs and the Logistics Senior Manager;
- Support the OCS procurement module rollout in SSA and backstop the countries as the module is rolled out;
Implement a Plan for succession line with the new Procurement Specialist;
Identify a Central Risk for adequate Supplier’s Evaluation CIP SSA;
Prepare Logistics Reports.
- Facilitate procurement planning with all budget holders to ensure timely procurement of goods and services;
- Supervise the procurement monitoring system (for tracking);
- Ensure cost-effectiveness, quality and timely delivery of all supply chain clients’ requirements;
- Ensure suppliers are formally pre-qualified prior to inclusion on suppliers list;
- Ensure compliance with CIP and ALL Donor Supply Management policies and procedures;
- Proactively anticipate procurement needs and seek economies of scale by organizing procurements across projects/departments;
- Proactively anticipate supply chain related risks and develop appropriate mitigations;
- In consultation with Finance ensure procurements are within budget and appropriate for technical needs;
- Manage resources to ensure value for money;
- Guide on performance evaluation for outsourced service providers;
- Lead the procurement committees and ensure all procurements are properly recorded;
- Coordinate with the technical team on the development of procurement scopes of work;
- Prepare and Manage the request for proposal (RFP) or request for quotation (RFQ) documents;
- Draft the contracts or purchase order and coordinate on approvals with CIP HQ.
- Stores and Inventory Management
- Advise the technical staff on commercial clauses of legal instruments to ensure that they get the best equipment/ services.
- Supplier / Stakeholder relations
- Ensure good supplier relations are maintained;
- Ensure WIN-WIN negotiations are carried out with suppliers to ensure sustainable mutual gains for both CIP and the supplier organizations;
- Backstop countries in CIP SSA on supply chain and logistics issues
- Bachelor’s degree in Industrial Engineering, Business Administration, International
- Business or related disciplines.
- Al least 6 years of experience required in similar position.
- Fluent written and oral communication skills in English.
- Proficient on MS Excel, Word and Power Point at user level.
- Knowledge of EU’s, USAID and African Development Bank Policies and Procedures
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively.
- Strong client service orientation and displaying a good-natured cooperative attitude with internal and external clients.
- Knowledge of ERP software’s and administration of products and suppliers master files.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified? Go to International Potato Center career website on recruit.zohopublic.com to apply