Opera News brings You Trending News and videos Worldwide, News in Entertainment, Politics, Sports & Lifestyle.
With over 10 million users in Africa, and in over 16 languages, the App is currently in the following countries in Africa: enin, Burundi, Chad, Ivory Coast, Cameroon, Guinea, Senegal, Republic of the Congo, Mali, Burkina Faso, Niger, Nigeria, Madagascar, Rwanda, South Sudan, Malawi, Zimbabwe, Uganda, Zambia, Tanzania, Ghana, Kenya and South Africa among others.
Who You Are
- You are a creative thinker who is constantly thinking outside the box.
- You immerse yourself in the generation of unique, compelling story ideas.
- You enjoy researching news stories and interviewing internal and external experts.
- You excel at writing news stories under the pressure of deadlines in a fast-paced environment.
What You’ll Be Doing
- Participate in generation of unique, compelling political, business, current affairs and entertainment-related story ideas.
- Follow trending topics on social networking, including Instagram, Twitter and Facebook for story ideas and headlines that optimize Opera News reach and retention.
- Write accurate stories that are well researched and attributed to necessary sources and update as necessary.
- Interview proper sources to enhance story content.
- Respond quickly to breaking news and developing situations, contributing to the news team's coverage of the event.
- Creatively use social media to send out breaking/interesting news.
Experience We Are Looking For
- Bachelor's degree in Journalism or a related communications field required.
- 1-3 years of work experience required.
- Demonstrated journalism/media/social media experience.
- Must have strong writing skills and excellent knowledge of AP style.
- Must have knowledge and experience using Facebook, Twitter and emerging social media platforms.
- Must be able to develop an understanding of basic news landscape in the country.
- Must be self-motivated, team-oriented and work well under pressure.
- Must have excellent communication skills and be proactive in seeking out interviews to enhance story content.
- Good visual eye and basic photo editing skills.
Skills We Are Looking For
- Sense of urgency. You act with the realization that efficiency is vital to success.
- A team player. You have the ability to consistently build and maintain strong working relationships with your direct teammates as well as co-workers throughout Opera News..
- Communication. You have the ability to exchange information, both verbal and non-verbal, to anyone. You have solid speaking and writing skills. Your communication style ensures that all the organizational goals are achieved.
- Passion. You have a strong excitement and love for journalism. You pride yourself on being efficient at your job.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified? Go to Opera News career website on www.linkedin.com to apply