Terre des Hommes Netherlands (TdH-NL) is an international child rights NGO committed to stopping child exploitation. In East Africa, Terre des Hommes Netherlands works in Kenya, Uganda, Tanzania and Ethiopia. Our work focuses on prevention, provision/response, promotion/advocacy and supporting prosecution for children survivors of exploitation and those vulnerable to exploitation together with their families and communities, with a view to achieve a world free from exploitation.
Terre des Hommes Netherlands is looking for a Project Manager Kenya, full time, to be based in Kakuma, Turkana West Sub County, Turkana County, Kenya. This is a national position, open to applicants who can prove the right to live and work in Kenya. Initial contract period will be for 8 months.
Objective of the function
The Project Manager - Turkana Kenya works with the Country Team (CT), and receives hierarchical leadership from the Country Manager (CM) to whom he/she reports. He/she will be in close collaboration and consultation with the Country Manager accountable for the full rollout and oversight of the UNICEF- TdH-NL SGBV project in Kalobeyei, Turkana County, Kenya within our sexual exploitation of children programme in Kenya. S/he together with project officers will be responsible for ensuring effective quality implementation through work planning, technical support, coordination, (internal and external) and partner capacity building. This is an anticipated position to be filled subject to funds availability for the project.
Main Duties and Responsibilities:
- Overall management including effective planning, implementation and monitoring of project outputs
- Develop technically sound program strategies and a work plan, in coordination with the Country Manager and CP Technical Advisor, to meet program goals and to determine operational needs
- Working with CP Technical Advisor and Country Manager, oversee the mapping exercise on existing SGBV reporting and referral structures and pathways to determine their effectiveness
- Work closely with local CSOs and international NGOs, UN agencies and other stakeholders to develop and disseminate integrated Turkana West SGBV reporting and referral pathways
- Provide training and mentoring support to local partners and other stakeholders involved in multi-sectoral response in order to strengthen local capacity to apply SGBV referral pathways in providing response services
- Coordinate with local partners, INGOs, UN agencies and other stakeholders to ensure holistic support for survivors, including participation in strengthening SGBV referral pathway
- Work with local partners,other stakeholders and communities to develop appropriate SGBV (with a bias on children) prevention and awareness-raising and behavior change strategy guides ensuring cultural appropriateness and community buy in
- Using the approved behaviour change guide, train community agents of change and local partners on SGBV prevention
- Manage staff to deliver on project plans taking into account efficiency and quality (ensuring projects are executed timely, on scope and on budget).
- Represent TdH-NL in protection (SGBV, CP) cluster meetings and contribute to interagency initiatives
- Work professionally within TdH-NL’s policies and codes of conduct, including those related to child protection/safeguarding, confidentiality, safety and security and ethical practice.
- Ensure that the project officers and partners follow the policies, processes and protocol regarding child safeguarding,
- Communicate incidents and violations of the policies in line with the established protocol.
- Improving Workflows
- As part of a team, translate developments and situation specific information into thematic and country annual and strategic policies.
- Assist in the continuous assessment of child protection needs and gaps in the country in order to ensure that these are appropriately reflected in project strategies and interventions.
- Identify new trends and developments in the area of child exploitation, SGBV (with a bias on children) and Child trafficking.
- As and when relevant, coordinate the activities of assigned consultants for specific tasks, such as mapping and assessments, etc.
- Work with TdH finance team to procure project supplies in line with project budgets
- Support the Senior Communication Officer at the Regional Office with information and materials for marketing and communication, e.g. news items (case stories) and photos.
- Ensure appropriate reporting, including through monthly and quarterly reports, are on time and with accurate data
- Perform any other duties as relevant for the country programme as assigned and as can reasonably be expected from the position, in consultation with the country team.
- Business development
- Support Country Manager Kenya and the Programme Development Manager in identifying project development opportunities in Turkana County
- Represent Kenya country office in critical spaces to increase visibility and credibility with donors and other external stakeholders ensuring we continue to claim our role as an expert organisation in our theme areas
- Develop and share project ideas for further development into concept notes and proposals.
Education, experience and skills required
- MA degree in Social Sciences, Gender, Public Health or related fields.
- Minimum of 4-5 year work experience
- Experience in SGBV Project Management is considered an asset
- Familiarity with guidelines in SGBV programming and coordination including GBV prevention
- Proven knowledge and experience in developing and supporting community mobilization projects for SGBV prevention and behaviour change
- Proficiency in written and oral English is required.
- Experience with financial management
- Experience in supervising/leading a team
- Verbal and written fluency in English and verbal capability in Kiswahili
- Strong interpersonal communication skills- written and orally
- Planning, organising, cooperation, performance oriented
- High degree of taking initiative and working independently
- Exhibits composure and professionalism. Ability to represent TdH-NL in Kenya to donors, government officials, other NGOs, other external stakeholders in a self assured manner
- Excellent negotiating and communication skills both oral and written
- Ability to work under pressure and with limited supervision
- Make others enthusiastic and motivate them to achieve a previously defined result. Encourage others to develop themselves to the full.
- Level 2: Gives others the room to work independently and coaches them along the way.
- Planning & Organising
- The effective alignment of activities, time and resources to achieve objectives.
- Level 3: Coordinates and aligns activities and supports and encourages others in the direct vicinity to start to plan and organise.
- Problem-solving ability
- Actively seek logical, tangible and realistic solutions for problems
- Level 3: Can identify and articulate the core of the problem, can initiate the collection of relevant data and can propose solutions.
- Performance orientation
- Focused on goal setting and active achievement of results.
- Level 3: Can articulate the results to be achieved – and achieves them!
8 months contract with a possibility of extension subject to funding.
Please note that this is a national position. Applicants must be able to provide proof of the right to live and work in Kenya.
Kindly also note that due to the expected large responses only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
The selection procedure will include an assessment test, and checking of recent professional references