As a global leader in beverage alcohol, our 200+ brands are part of everyday celebrations in over 180 countries. Our ambition? We want to be one of the best performing, most trusted and respected consumer products companies in the world.
Ever since Arthur Guinness took out a 9,000 year lease on a Dublin brewery, some 250 years ago, we became a business that is defined by the character of the people who work here. It took immense character from Alexander Walker to convince the captains of every ship in the port of Glasgow to take crates of Johnnie Walker to the four corners of the world. Today, nothing’s changed.
The Diageo Sales vision is to become the best performing most trusted and respected Consumer Packaged Goods company in the world and in every market we operate. Our goal is to be ‘winning at the moment of choice’, winning big and beating the competition. This along with putting the consumer at the heart of everything we do, will deliver sustained, mutual growth for our brands, categories, customers and partners. The Regional Spirits & RTC Development Manager role is critical in delivering this vision with specific focus to Spirits and Route to Consumer Development in the Kenyan market.
KBL operates in a very competitive environment that has seen the entrance of new players in the total adult beverage category. Market situation is changing rapidly due to the economic situation, declining disposable incomes and opening up of the economic trading blocs allowing in-flow of products from other markets. Consumers are becoming more sophisticated. This necessitates the need for pro-active business approach especially in Spirits. The nature of competition is complex with established players operating within a market that has regulatory challenges. The RTM chain is long, uncontrolled and competitive with margins being key deciding factor for listing. In some channels, the route to market is not well defined and needs to be developed so as to reach the consumer.
The Spirits Market is highly fragmented with many small players who are regionalised, launching and withdrawing their brands at will. Trade is evolving and being more sophisticated especially at retail level.
The KBL mission is to grow spirits market share from 47% to 70% by 2022. KBL has 96% volume share of beer market, and hence more skewed to beer across the value chain. The national distribution structure within the Kenyan alcohol market is key to KBL’s spirits delivery of both volume growth and market share.
Purpose of Role
- To drive spirits and route to consumer strategy across KBL value chain by building a world class route to consumer system.
- To create advantaged Route to Consumer in all markets, focusing on sales force effectiveness, distributor management, advantaged trade terms, commercial plans and demand forecasting.
- Ensure brilliant execution of our customer and consumer programmes and therefore transform Route to Consumer in order to establish this as an area of competitive advantage and a key enabler to the achievement of both our Marketing and Sales Strategy to deliver NSV and OP objectives.
- To ensure we win in market, now and in the future, Diageo needs inspired, motivated and equipped commercial managers capable of exceeding the goals asked of them.
- This is a commercial position aimed at building Spirits & RTC Development knowledge and awareness and adoration within the sales-forces as well as key stakeholders, driving and inspiring customer loyalty and demand, which will in turn transform into consumer demand.
- Own, develop and drive the relationships and commercial agenda through influencing customers – this is a customer facing role.
- Develop customer management capability
- Deliver breakthrough business performance through influencing and working with others
- Identify and manage Spirits distribution (listing) opportunities as defined for the fiscal year.
- Overarching role is to drive spirits strategy across KBL value chain.
- Sizing up the Net revenue Management opportunity in a bid to drive a mix that positively impacts on the profitability of the business
- To develop a proper spirits RTM leveraging on our strong beer distribution channel and propose deliverable actions, plans and initiatives to accelerate growth.
- Increasing coverage and distribution to Gold Distributor standards.
- Implementing distributor operational effectiveness to required standard (warehousing stock management)
- Reviewing distributor performance on Distributor Management System to gain insights and target impactful activities with desired Return on Investment (ROI)
- Own the regional spirits P&L by driving category growth and mix
- Drive contact with regional KBL distributors and top spirits wholesalers. Holds regular business reviews with key distributors focusing on growth drivers as stipulated in the gold standards.
- Develop and implement a Capability training program for the Distributor Leadership Team on Commercial, Finance, HR, Supply & IS.
- To initiate and take leadership in implementing motivating incentives to the distributor teams to support new route to market for spirits to deliver exceptional results for spirits.
- To build productive working relationships with customers (Internal and external) and regional field sales team
- Propose and Influence a winning pricing strategy and engage brand assurance to tame contra brands and counterfeits.
- Gather insights on prevailing market trading terms, analyze retail audit data to grow Numeric distribution, implement tactical and strategic plans to beat competition.
Qualifications and Experience Required
- A Bachelors degree in a relevant field
- At least 5-8 years FMCG experience gained across commercial and other functions with a Strong track record in People Management & / or commercial roles within a consumer goods environment.
- Well-developed commercial awareness and customer focus.
- High cognitive ability, Deep Analytical and critical thinking skills
Functional Knowledge & Skills
- Trade and/or brand strategy development
- Trade marketing development
- Customer engagement
- Logistics/ supply chain management
- Account management
Managerial & Interpersonal Skills
- Motivating, coaching and developing people
- Developing and maintaining relationships with clients, external suppliers and commercial partners
- Effective communication and presentation
- Negotiation and influencing
- Project management
Key Success Factors
- Overall numeric and weighted distribution performance
- Product availability/ distribution targets
- Customer satisfaction targets
- Achievement of target contracts
- Quality and competence of our RTC execution partners
Barriers to Success in Role
- Inability to engage and mobilise others in the organisation.
- Inability to work cross functionally
- Inability to see the bigger, long term goals of the brands and Distribution
- Inability to bounce-back from setbacks – this is new territory!
Method of Application
Interested and qualified? Go to Diageo career website on diageo.wd3.myworkdayjobs.com to apply