The Base Administrator reports hierachially to the Program Manager. The position will be based in Mandera- Kenya.
The Base Administrator’s core responsibilities will include,
Objective 1: MANAGEMENT OF THE FINANCES OF THE BASE
Activities under this objective include:
Activity 1: General Finance:
- Responsible for finance at base level,
- To ensure proper implementation of Action Against Hunger’s financial rules and procedures.
- Responsible for the financial authorization of the expenses done in the base in compliance with financial procedures and monthly cash forecast
- Record all working advances in the advance book and follow up on their clearance by staff on a timely basis.
- To ensure that each cash & bank transaction is justified by an appropriate invoice/receipt, and to ensure the quality of receipts (name, patent no., stamp, description, date, amount, etc.)
- Responsible for proper & regular filing of all finance documents at the base.
Activity 2: Budget Management
- Where required and in consultation with the Head of Finance, provide inputs to budget proposal design and procurement plan design.
- Check availability of funds for all activities and expenses- validate the procurement requests and SPOs
- Hold monthly Budget Follow Up (BFU) meetings at base level and communicate feedback to Nairobi Finance office
- Ensure that correct budget lines are used for each activity & expenses- link to Procurement Follow Up (PFU) and BFU
Activity 3: Cash & Bank Management:
- To ensure respect of Action against Hunger’s finance procedures and Cash Management Policy at the base level.
- Monthly cash and bank reconciliation
- Ensure safekeeping of Action Against Hunger funds and assets
- Make cash count at least once a week and also at the end of each month (in writing )
- Consolidate the base cash forecasts. Ensure liquidity at base level- sending balances to Nairobi , follow up on transfers to bases
- Ensure base expenditures are in line with the approved cash forecast, analyse discrepancy between actual expenditures and cash forecast
Activity 4: SAGA:
- Record all transactions in the SAGA cashbook in full respect of internal saga rules. This cashbook & bank book must be updated on a daily basis to be able to verify the physical bank & cash balance at any time.
- Ensure that correct budget lines are used for each activity & expenses- link to PFU and BFU
- Responsible for the SAGA monthly closing: check all books and transmit all documents before the 4nd of the following month to Nairobi finance team.
Objective 2: MANAGEMENT OF THE HUMAN RESOURCES AT THE BASE
Activities under this objective include:
Activity 1: Administration of Employment practices
- To ensure the implementation of the staff regulation in the base,
- To ensure the proper communication within the base concerning administrative issues,
- To implement all HR procedures, projects and initiatives in the base and to propose to the Head of Base on new procedures where required,
- To maintain an accurate staff database of the staff in TR, management of leave to include leave plans and leave follow up
- To ensure the Payroll Alteration Forms are remitted to Nairobi HR on the 15th of every month for payroll processing.
- Responsible for all HR filing in the base to include recruitment files, personnel files etc.
Activity 2: Employee Resourcing (HR Planning, Recruitment& Selection, Induction& Orientation)
- In collaboration with the Head of HR, participate in the recruitment and selection process at the field level to include preparing JD’s, job adverts, receiving and sorting applications, preparing interview materials, interview schedules, contact candidates for interviews and help set up for interviews.
- Working closely with the Head of HR, prepare recruitment documentation to include the recruitment matrix and conducting reference checks
- Assist in the orientation and induction of new staff at the base. This includes, preparing an induction schedule for new staff, collecting all documents from new employees as per the employee personnel checklist and opening
- Employee personnel files for all new employees as well as assisting in conducting comprehensive HR induction at base level.
- In consultation with the Head of HR, advise on staffing needs including need for new hire and/or reduction.
Activity 3: Employee Relations
- Responsible for staff welfare at the base level to include but not limited to staff meetings, medical, contributions etc.
- To ensure that each disciplinary action is justified, compliant to the law and staff regulation, and validated by HR Nairobi.
- To prepare for the base all proposition regarding changes in the HR policy, i.e. food baskets, organization chart, comments on the salary grading structure and to be communicated to the HR Manager who will liaise with other coordination
- Be a change champion for HR initiatives and projects at the base level
- Working closely with the Capital Nairobi HR, assist in the implementation of HR projects and initiatives at the base level
- BSc degree in Business Administration, Economics, Commerce or related studies
- Basic knowledge of and interpretation of the Kenyan labour laws
SKILLS & EXPERIENCE
- Excellent analytical and writing skills.
- Problem Solver.
- Compatibility for both independent and team work.
- Persuasive and confident communicator, able to deal with senior colleagues throughout the organisation.
- Persistence and assertiveness combined with tact and diplomacy
- 3 -5 years’ experience in busy organisation or Non-profit organisation
- Demonstrated flexibility and or adaptability.
- Excellent organizational and planning skills
- Good writing skills. Good management and representation skills.
- Good interpersonal skills
- Strong leadership skills
- Ability to work in a high-pressured environment
- Good knowledge of IT applications including accounting software. Knowledge of SAGA will be an added advantage.
- Working experience in international humanitarian organization is desirable
- Ability to work in a remote/basic environment with limitations in terms of movement, etc.
Applications, including CV with cover letter and 3 professional references to be sent via email to:
firstname.lastname@example.org not later than 18th July 2019 clearly mentioning the position on the subject line. e.g Base Administrator-Mandera.
Only Shorlisted candidates will be contacted for interviews.
Female candidates are encouraged to apply