East African Social Ventures (EASV) is a social enterprise organization working in the sustainable and equitable economic development space. With our aggressive “2,500 jobs by 2025” campaign, we’re positioned to become Western Kenya’s largest employer in the next 5 years. Our focus on sustainable business management, including an extremely strong commitment to worker’s rights and community involvement, will shift the conversation around expectations of fair employment and compensation practices among larger corporations.
About the role:
We are initiating large-scale poultry farming operation in Western Kenya and are seeking an experienced Finance & Accounting Officer to help us set up and run our finance and accounting functionalities. This individual will report directly to our CEO as well as dotted-line report to our US-based CFO Advisory Board Member. We are a fast growing start-up social enterprise organization and the right individual will be able to shift gears quickly and propose and implement best-practice financial and accounting standards and practices that will meet international auditing standards as well as executive and BOD member approval.
This is a role for an accomplished, ambitious professional with significant experience and a detailed understanding of not just finance and accounting principles, but also the ability to proactively propose financial strategies based on EASV's specific market advantages and competitive positioning. A general high-level of business acumen and professional savviness is expected in the right candidate. This is a growth-oriented role with considerable room for advancement as our organization grows for a finance & accounting professional who also understands big-picture corporate strategy.
- Manage day to day accounting, invoicing, cash management, financial reporting, and all other needed accounting & finance related tasks and activities
- Prepare regular financial reports for EASV's senior management, Board of Directors, and investors
- Contribute to building the annual operating budget via reporting of performance versus actual on a regular basis
- Maintain strict financial accounting controls and ensure an intentionally cadenced flow of funds for EASV
- Develop business processes and accounting policies to strengthen internal financial controls
- Continually review financial and accounting practices and procedures for better efficiency and risk mitigation
- Monitor and proactivey advocate for opportunities for improvement in accounting practices, and financial processes and controls
- Ensure EASV maintains compliance with relevant statutory requirements and standards in Kenya
- Provide actionable budgeting and financial planning advice to the EASV management team, including budget monitoring and and reconciliations
- Measuring financial performance against key performance indicators
- Forecasting cash flows based on relevant market dynamics specific to EASV
- Strong personal conviction in the power of social entrepreneurship to solve economic development issues
- Minimum of 5 years total experience in accounting & finance roles
- At least 3 years in an accounting & finance role at a social enterprise organization, impact investing firm, or NGO
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting at a minimum. MBAs, Masters in Finance, Taxation, Accountancy or similar strongly preferred
- CPA (K) holder or equivalent
- Member of Certified Public Accountants of Kenya (ICPAK) or other relevant professional body
- Highly skilled in relevant accounting packages as well as Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
- Deep knowledge of standard account principles (GAAP, etc.)
- Ability to maintain absolute confidentiality regarding EASV's financial performance
- Strong financial modeling skills
- Knowledge of agribusiness market dynamics
- Experience working in a finance & accounting role at a large agribusiness organization
- Experience working in an management consulting organization
Method of Application
Please send your CV and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org, including salary expectations. This position is expected to start in December or January.
Interested and qualified? Go to East African Social Ventures (EASV) career website on to apply