Jhpiego is a nonprofit global leader in the creation and delivery of transformative health care solutions for the developing world. In partnership with national governments, health experts and local communities, we build health providers’ skills, and develop systems that save lives now and guarantee healthier futures for women and their families. Our aim is revolutionizing health care for the planet’s most disadvantaged people.
Reporting to the Country Director, the MEL Director will lead and shape the strategic vision of the Country office on Data Science, Project M&E, and Learning for Impact. This will be based on actionable metrics in various technical areas including TB, HIV, Malaria and emerging infectious diseases, MNH, RH/FP and non-communicable diseases (NCDs). S/he will provide technical leadership for excellence in measurement, learning and adaptive management across Jhpiego, cultivate and maintain lasting relationships that grow Jhpiego’s portfolio to fortify its reputation as a global leader in saving lives, improving health and transforming futures. S/he will oversee a team of highly motivated project MEL staff to deliver world-class MEL technical leadership to strengthen the quality of implementation for impact and will oversee research and evaluation experts and provide oversight for the development and implementation of project learning agendas.
- Drive the development of the strategic vision, priorities and activities for Data Science, Monitoring and Learning for impact.
- Provide strategic leadership for driving peer-reviewed publication and dissemination efforts of Jhpiego’s priority research and evaluation activities.
- Continually assess trends at Country and global level in Jhpiego’s technical areas to remain on the forefront of data measurement, analysis and use.
- Lead a broad team for the conceptualization and development of innovative and high-quality measurement, learning and adaptive management approaches that demonstrate impact and facilitate the visualization of data and ensure systems are in place to achieve strategic objectives.
- Provide technical oversight, and leadership to Jhpiego’s experts in evaluation, research and data analysis to align with donor and organizational priorities, needs and contractual requirements.
- Train and mentor country staff and partners to build skills and expertise in MEL methods, innovative tools, and models that support information based decision making including implementation science, impact modeling, costing, etc
- Lead and provide strategic guidance on data analytics and visualization to implement robust systems and processes for collecting, analyzing, and visualizing information to maximize data use. Provide guidance and direction to staff to ensure these systems meet the needs of program staff across projects and for the organization.
- Build a strong and productive partnership with key stakeholders internally and externally including maintaining effective collaboration with John Hopkins University and local IRBs and compliance on open data platforms.
- Develop and maintain strategic networks with governments, strategic institutions, colleagues and donors to maximize Jhpiego’s impact and leverage, including developing new business opportunities, and contributing to positioning, leads development, and proposal design and production.
- Provide technical leadership and capacity base for Jhpiego’s MEL staff, partners and government entities to continually collects, synthesize, and disseminates evidence and learning, to inform counties efforts on their journeys to self-reliance.
- Enhance Jhpiego’s global leadership by serving in external advisory or working groups and representing Jhpiego in key National technical meetings and committees.
- Work in close collaboration with Jhpiego HQ counterparts to grow our country and global portfolio.
- Masters degree in public health, statistics, or related field;
- At least 10 years working experience monitoring and evaluating health programs in Africa- preferably Kenya; 5 of which should be at senior level;
- Experience and expertise using quantitative and qualitative methods;
- Expertise with data analytic software either R, STATA, Python or SPSS
- Experience in designing, and refining monitoring and evaluation frameworks for multiple programs
- Experience reporting on PEPFAR indicators, DATIM and latest reporting requirements, including High Frequency Reporting, and USAID Collaborating Learning and Adapting (CLA) framework;
- Experience with other USG donors and BMGF programming and reporting
- Extensive knowledge on development and implementation of M&E systems;
- Knowledge of HIV/AIDS, MNCH, FP/RH, Malaria and TB and programs in Kenya;
- Ability to communicate technical material to lay and technical audiences
- Outstanding interpersonal skills, able to develop strong relationships across functions, abilities and work levels.
- Demonstrated coaching & mentorship skills, with an ability to inspire, influence and motivate teams.
- Excellent communications skills – both verbal, written and presentation.
Kenyan Nationals are prefered. Applications to be received by 27 th September 2019 .
Method of Application
Interested and qualified? Go to Jhpiego career website on jobs-jhpiego.icims.com to apply