Diakonia is a faith based development organisation working on a long term basis together with local partner organizations for a sustainable change for the most vulnerable people of the world. Our focus areas are human rights, democratization, gender equality, social and economic justice and peace and reconciliation.
Diakonia is looking for a Deputy Regional Director Africa to be part of the regional management team in Nairobi. We offer you an exciting job in an international environment where you, together with our talented employees and partner organizations, will change the world!
We know that it is possible to change the world. But we also know that it takes time and requires persistence and courage. We support projects that empowers people to leave poverty and oppression. We work through 350 local organizations in over 25 countries in four continents. Our principals are the Christian denominations the Swedish Alliance Mission and the Uniting Church in Sweden.
In Sub-Saharan Africa Diakonia employs around 100 staff at country offices in Mozambique, the DRC, Zimbabwe, Zambia, Uganda, Kenya, Somalia, Mali and Burkina Faso; and the Regional Office in Kenya. The Deputy Regional Director will have a special focus on four of the countries and be the Africa region’s focal point for resource mobilization.
Role & responsibilities:
- The Deputy Regional Director will be part of the regional management team and the regional programme team to strategically support the nine country offices in the implementation of their country programmes, in line with established guidelines, policy, strategies, budget and steering documents. Other responsibilities will be:
- To assist the Regional Director and to take on the role of being acting Regional Director when necessary.
- To facilitate & quality assure resource mobilisation and proactively maintain and develop contacts with back donors.
- Having final budgetary responsibility for designated countries.
- Management and working environment responsibility, for staff within designated country programmes according to granted level of delegation.
- To serve as link between Diakonia Head Quarters in Sweden and the Africa Region on designated tasks/themes.
Experience & qualifications:
- Experience from international development cooperation preferably in and with NGOs/INGOs.
- Knowledge of and experience in donor funding mechanisms and reporting in Sweden and European Union among others.
- Experience in social and political analysis, preferably from Africa and particularly in the areas of Democracy, Human Rights, Social & Economic Justice, Conflict & Justice and Gender.
- Experience in donor relations and resource mobilization.
- University degree in relevant area.
- Experience from managerial position with good leadership, interpersonal, cultural, training and facilitation skills.
- Very good planning and organizing skills.
- Proficient in reporting and writing in English and Swedish.
- Financial management experience, including budgeting and expenditure tracking
- Thinking and problem solving skills
This is a plus:
- Knowledge in French, Arabic and Portuguese
- Experience in Rights Based Approaches
- Knowledge of Diakonia and the founding churches
We offer you an exciting job in an international environment. You will become part of a culture that is characterized by commitment and openness. Together with our colleagues and partner organizations, we change the world!
Method of Application
Interested and qualified? Go to Diakonia institute career website on www.recruto.se to apply