The Somalia Country Management Unit (CMU) is seeking a Knowledge Management and Strategy expert under a one-year Extended Term Contract. The consultant will serve as an interface with other partners in Somalia identifying and providing strategic advice on opportunities for collaboration and partnership. The consultant will also seek opportunities to implement corporate priorities related to partnership, such as Human-Development Peace Initiative (HDPI), Famine Action Mechanism (FAM) and New Ways of Working. This will include supporting the Bank to adapt to the current evolving drought crisis, identifying and supporting early action opportunities within the Bank’s portfolio.
Roles and responsibilities:-
Broadly, the consultant will be responsible for;
- Identifying and managing partnerships that support the achievement of the objectives of the CPF
- Providing a conduit for knowledge, information and networks between partners in Somalia and World Bank teams
- Engagement with donors to the MPF
- Providing visibility to government counterparts and contributing donors to the Multi-Partner Fund
- Maintaining a culture of transparency and accountability with stakeholders
Specifically, the consultant will be expected to cover the following activities;
- Work with a network of development and humanitarian partners to leverage existing capacities, knowledge and analytics to inform the design and implementation of World Bank projects; supporting teams to engage with partners where relevant and conducive to more effective implementation; validating, capturing and structuring this information to enable the quick and effective identification of specific information to maximize any analyses for either trend or other work-specific purposes.
- Identify opportunities to partner with private sector actors to explore possible engagement between the government and private initiatives; act as an objective convenor and knowledge enabler as part of thoroughly engaging private sector representatives.
- Identify risk management systems of other partners that can be leveraged to support better risk management in the World Bank portfolio; support task teams to leverage and adapt these systems for improved project monitoring and risk mitigation.
- Identify risk management and monitoring mechanisms developed by partners that could inform portfolio risk management, including geo-enabled systems and third-party monitoring.
- Work alongside the Senior Operations Office to manage engagement with MPF donors; this includes assisting in the development of MPF reporting materials, liaison with task teams to support better project level reporting to donors and partners.
- Support the CMU with donor communications, outreach and management, maintain a database of potential vendors and resource persons.
- Working with AFREC, identify and inform CMU and teams on risks associated with communications activities, support risk management and citizens engagement.
This internal requisition is open to WBG and IMF staff only (including short-term and extended term consultants/ temporaries). External candidates are requested not to apply. In case an external candidate applies, their application will not be considered.
Duration of Assignment
The position is for a duration of one year.
The consultant will report to the Senior Operations Officer.
- A Master’s degree in, political science, international development, or a related field.
- A minimum of 5 years of relevant international work experience in fragile states
- Good understanding of the operating context of Somalia and the challenges to development and stability of the country.
- Experience in donor management and reporting
- Familiarity with international partnership frameworks, including the New Deal, the g7+, the HDPI, FAM, NWOW and global aid coordination principles
- Good understanding of international development and humanitarian action in FCV contexts
- Good understanding of partnership challenges and opportunities in Somalia
- Good existing networks with partners in Somalia an advantage
- Basic understanding of World Bank operations an advantage
- Excellent English written and oral communication skills and ability to produce high-quality work and manage multiple tasks under tight deadlines
Note: The selected candidate will be offered a one-year appointment, renewable for an additional one year, at the discretion of the World Bank Group, and subject to a lifetime maximum ET Appointment of two years. If an ET appointment ends before a full year, it is considered as a full year toward the lifetime maximum. Former and current ET staff who have completed all or any portion of their second-year ET appointment are not eligible for future ET appointments.
Poverty has no borders. Neither does excellence. This is why we continually search for qualified individuals with diverse backgrounds from around the globe. We are proud to be an equal opportunity and inclusive employer with a dedicated and committed workforce, and do not discriminate based on gender, gender identity, religion, race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, or disability