Term: Fixed term for one year (with potential for renewal, subject to funding and organisational needs)
Salary range: £28,000-32,000 (if UK-based)
Reporting to: Head of Operations
About the role
This is an exciting opportunity for an experienced M&E Manager who believes in our vision, loves data, is a systems builder and thrives in a self-driven environment where the focus is on making things happen. The M&E Manager will be responsible for transforming our data infrastructure, monitoring and evaluation practices, information/knowledge management processes, learning and communication around the impact generated through our mentoring projects across the Middle East, North Africa and Sub-Saharan Africa. Some occasional international travel is envisaged for this role. Mowgli has offices in four countries and this post could be based in the UK (HQ) or Kenya.
Organisation-wide M&E, analysis, reporting and decision-making
- Strengthen a culture of quantitative and qualitative data-driven decision-making across all departments and levels
- Identify key questions about our processes, programmes and approaches that need examining to increase efficiency and effectiveness
- Develop Mowgli’s data infrastructure and strategy together with our senior management team, including designing and implementing a MIS and dashboards that are simple, intuitive and provide real-time insight
- Enhance data collection procedures to include information relevant for building analytic systems
- Foster the development of the Mowgli team’s M&E capacity and skills
- Lead on data preparation, analysis, quality checking and submission to support the wider team’s development of thought leadership reports, including the annual impact report
- Contribute to the development and refinement of Mowgli’s M&E framework, its application and uptake across the organisation, ensuring that is in line with our Theory of Change
- Collaborate closely with colleagues in the marketing, communications and business development departments to ensure accurate and engaging data is shared with Mowgli’s internal and external stakeholders including the team, potential clients, partners and the wider public
- Drive continuing improvements in Mowgli’s M&E and learning methodology, approach and tools
- Maintain an up-to-date understanding of best practices in the field through monitoring of Mowgli’s competitors and partners, research into relevant learning initiatives and other literature
- Perform quantitative and qualitative data analysis on a regular and ad hoc basis, to understand trends, provide insights on client, partner and participant behaviour and business performance to the senior management team
- Manage data/ reporting confidentiality across the organisation, ensuring compliance with the General Data Protection Regulation
Project M&E and reporting
- Lead on developing M&E and reporting templates, structure, content and final reports, working with Project Managers to ensure that client reports are delivered in line with relevant programmatic and contractual specifications
- Lead in the design, sourcing, collation and analysis of multiple data sets at baseline, mid-line, endline impact stages
- Gather, collate, clean, and analyse data, and consolidate/ structure multiple data sets, verifying and ensuring data integrity
- Consolidate project evaluation and impact data, identifying successes and challenges, learning and any actions required for future programmes
- In collaboration with colleagues in project management and business development, prepare project logframes and lead on M&E and reporting in line with project-specific outcomes, outputs and indicators
- In collaboration with colleagues, determine ways to increase data reporting by our programme participants, rolling out new initiatives in this area
- Contribute to internal meetings, reports and events, including preparing and providing written and oral inputs and leading on, or contributing to, working groups on specific topics and themes
- Contribute to or coordinate particular internal processes, with a particular focus on information and knowledge management and learning
- Any other reasonable task commensurate with the dimensions of this role, as requested by line manager or CEO and based upon the growth of Mowgli
Person specification – required knowledge, skills and experience
- Degree or comparable qualification in a relevant discipline, e.g. social sciences, economics, international development (a relevant post-graduate qualification would be an advantage)
- 3+ years experience in a similar position building data infrastructure, business intelligence, or M&E systems, synthesizing results into strategic recommendations and report writing
- Highly literate in all standard IT packages, including mastery of Excel, data visualization tools a plus, as well as knowledge and experience of bringing technological innovations/ solutions in the areas of M&E, reporting and knowledge management/ learning
- Advanced qualitative and quantitative research and analysis skills, with experience of survey design and synthesising/ presenting data in a range of formats for a variety of audiences
- Experience of using relevant data collection tools and statistics software, e.g. SPSS, Stata, SurveyGizmo, and good applied statistical skills
- Excellent communication skills including broad expertise and experience in report writing for a range of purposes and audiences
- Strong attention to detail and proven ability to manage a wide and varied workload, managing competing deadlines whilst maintaining high standards and quality
- Commitment to working collaboratively, and with a high degree of autonomy and initiative, including taking ownership of planning own and others’ inputs towards agreed deadlines
- Knowledge of the UK’s Data Protection Act & General Data Protection Regulation and its implications for data capture and management
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in English; French and/ or Arabic language skills would be an advantage
Please send your CV and covering letter to the email address below, ensuring that it outlines how your experience meets the person specification requirements, as well as your motivation for joining the Mowgli team. Your cover letter should also indicate whether you are applying to be based in the UK or Kenya, as well as noting your salary expectations, available start date and your availability for interview in the week commencing 29 July 2019.
Applications should be emailed to email@example.com, noting M&E Manager in the subject line, by 09.00 on Monday 22 July 2019.
Shortlisted candidates will be notified by Thursday 25 July with an invitation for interviews to be held in w/c 29 July.
Please note that applicants for the position based in Bristol must have the right to work in the UK as we are not able to offer sponsorship for this post.
If you have any queries about the position, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Mowgli Mentoring is an Equal Opportunity Employer.**