British American Tobacco is one of the world’s leading multinational companies, with brands sold in over 200 markets, made in 44 factories in 42 countries.
We are proud that we are consistently among the top 5 companies on the London Stock Exchange.
Our portfolio includes our world-famous Global Drive Brands – Dunhill, Kent, Lucky Strike, Pall Mall and Rothmans – along with many other leading international brands, such as Vogue, Peter Stuyvesant and State Express 555.
Alongside our traditional tobacco business, we are also developing products that offer consumers potentially less risky alternatives to regular cigarettes. Our Next Generation Products are already leading the way in the Industry of vapour and tobacco heating devices. We continue to develop a solid portfolio of consumer solutions which already include well known global brands like Vype, glo and Voke.
British American Tobacco is looking for a Production Manager to join our team in Kenya.
- Optimal utilization of resources in order to attain set production targets (OEE, MTBF, C2S, productivity, Quality/Q2S, Cost and Waste)
- Hitting the Conformance to Schedule(C2S) -the Production Manager will provide input to the planning system and understand the implications. The key result is ensuring that the factory produces the required volume and mix of products on time and of the required quality
- Quality to Specification(Q2S); ensuring quality targets are met, consumer complaints are responded to and detailed action plans to ensure resolution of problems.
- Together with Engineering, ensure appropriate planning and execution of preventative and opportunistic maintenance
- Coordination with engineering department on investment projects as required.
- Ensure waste i.e. material/ tobacco/ process waste is managed through collaboration with support departments
- Ensuring EH&S policies and procedures are adhered to within area of responsibility (e.g. SMD and FMD)
- Continuous improvement of department KPIs (OEE, MTBF, C2S, productivity, Quality, Cost and Waste). Drives the identification of improvement opportunities, prioritizes them based on impact on production plan and ensures development of action plans and their implementation e.g. optimization of resources, waste reduction, increasing productivity and flexibility.
- Support the process of NPI
- To maintain a professional and well-motivated team, ensuring appropriate training and development to ensure succession to all key positions. To promote coaching and champion people development in order to ensure a self-sustaining organization
- To implement local manufacturing strategy, to roll out and communicate that aligned vision, so that people are engaged and inspired (using the Line of Sight process)
- To champion one’s business unit, setting personal examples of excellence and to provide leadership to the team and support the above-factory collaborative processes (by enabling and supporting performance)
- Regularly holds meetings with team members to communicate monthly results, company news & changes, projects and discuss action plans for the next month
- Identifying talent and ensuring their growth; coaching the team and ensuring all members of the team have development plans & regular performance feedback.
- Manages performance of the factory against targets (conformance to schedule, costs, quality, waste and EHS) and continuously seeks for opportunities to improve performance even if targets are met
- Ensure good communications structures are in place within the teams in SMD/PMD/FMD.
- Budget management, in terms of head count, overtime expenditure, consumable spend and waste costs.
- Manage OEE as an indicator of Continuous Improvement process
- As a key people manager, the Cell Manager needs to have good working relationships with other support departments, especially Supply chain, PMD, Quality, Maintenance and HR.
- Working with Quality Assurance to ensure they are aware of process issues within SMD/PMD/FMD which affect quality.
- Work with Quality and product development to improve the quality of materials and the quality of QA interventions in the factory such that the overall objectives of secondary manufacturing may be achieved.
- To develop an environment which seeks to continuously improve using continuous improvement techniques and other global assessments, from ideas which come from not only within the department but the rest of the factory and other BAT locations
Knowledge, Skills and Experience
- Typical education and experience: Technical degree plus proven experience (Minimum 5 years of experience in a production management role)
- Experience in lean manufacturing/World class manufacturing/TPM
- Excellent interpersonal- and communication skills to influence key stakeholders, and motivate large numbers of people
- Sound knowledge and experience of the tobacco processes and cigarette manufacture
- Able to lead and manage change within own area
- Knowledge of EHS standards and policies
- Exceptional analytical skills.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified? Go to British American Tobacco (BAT) career website on careers.bat.com to apply