Plan International is an independent global child rights organisation committed to supporting vulnerable and marginalised children and their communities to be free from poverty. By actively connecting committed people with powerful ideas, we work together to make positive, deep-rooted and lasting changes in children and young people’s lives. We place a specific focus on girls and women, who are most often left behind. For over 80 years, we have supported girls and boys and their communities around the world to gain the skills, knowledge and confidence they need to claim their rights, free themselves from poverty and live positive fulfilling lives.
This role is contingent on proposal award. If awarded this role can be based from Plan Internationals offices in either Kenya, Nigeria, Guinea, Sierra Leone, Mali, Somaliland/Somalia.
Plan International seeks an outstanding Safeguarding Advisor to provide safeguarding technical support to the design, implementation and monitoring of the anticipated Supporting the Africa Led Movement to End FGM Programme which will be implemented across 6 countries (Kenya, Somaliland/ Somalia, Nigeria, Guinea, Sierra Leone, Mali) with an expected budget of approximately £35 million over five years.
The project will focus on accelerating the pace of change to end FGM and achieving results at scale. The programme looks at achieving change at scale in the chosen countries, but also reinforcing this with a more global approach to grassroots networks and campaigns/advocacy. The programme will deliver community-level projects to end FGM by changing attitudes and behaviours towards harmful practices, empowering communities to protect the safety, rights and choices of women and girls.
- Provide safeguarding advice across the consortium during programme design/co-creation phase and implementation to support the successful integration of safeguarding into operations.
- Develop a programme safeguarding framework based on Plan safeguarding minimum standards and monitor its timely implementation.
- Ensure the well-functioning and alignment of the safeguarding incident reporting system with Plan in country safeguarding reporting mechanisms.
- Where needed, provide support and advice in dealing with alleged cases of safeguarding abuses and concerns including initiating, assisting with any necessary investigations and survivor’s care in line with appropriate policies and procedures.
- Contribute to the development of safeguarding tools, guidelines, training modules and awareness raising material in collaboration with the COs, safeguarding focal points and local implementing partners.
- Provide support to in country safeguarding focal point to deliver safeguarding training with staff and partners and to develop and integrate safeguarding in partners due diligence assessment.
- Support M&E colleagues in formulating relevant safeguarding indicators and support process of adapting programming to ensure that interventions maintain a positive impact and do no harm.
- Review and strengthen safeguarding systems and processes within the team and partners and conduct safeguarding supervision visits in intervention areas.
- Collaborate with and provide advice to key teams to ensure that safeguarding risk identification and management strategies are developed for sensitive activities
- Review on a regular basis the safeguarding risk register to make sure that new risks are identified, and mitigation measures planned and implemented
- Support and contribute to the writing of the inception report to the donor and other regular reports to be produced throughout the programme
- Present to various audiences on the safeguarding aspects of the programme design and implementation and support the process of dissemination of learning.
- Support the development of safeguarding costed annual workplans, as needed.
In order to succeed in the challenging and varied role, you will have extensive experience in the following areas:
- Extensive technical knowledge in thematic area of Safeguarding and protection, including knowledge of current trends and policies;
- Experience of developing and implementing safeguarding frameworks, including for large complex projects, at country and/or regional level,
- Experience in implementing community level social norms and FGM/HTP interventions and/ or acting as a technical advisor to such programmes an advantage
- Experience in case management is a strong advantage
- Experience of working with/ through partners, including building technical capacity of implementing partner organisations
- Experience of working in one or several of the proposed countries and strong understanding of context and contextual challenges faced by communities in the country is an advantage
- Strong public presentation skills and ability to represent the programme to a variety of audiences ranging from government representatives, donor, academic institutions, civil society, community representatives, and other as required.
- Advanced report writing skills.
- Diploma and language
- Advanced degree in a relevant field, for example, Gender Studies, Development Studies, or Sociology
- Fluency in English
- Knowledge of French/Arabic/local languages would be an advantage
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office suite, including Word, Excel, and Outlook.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified? Go to Plan International career website on jobs.plan-international.org to apply