Rafiki wa Maendeleo Trust is an organization operating in rural Rarieda District. The organization began as a grass-root CBO in 2003 to assist orphaned children and youth through community empowerment. Rafiki wa Maendeleo Trust has since developed into a dynamic organization, focused on empowerment and development, both within the community and the organization. We are currently seeking to recruit talented, progressive and team-oriented individuals to fill the position of HR Coordinator.
As HR Coordinator, you will oversee the HR function and ensure all processes and procedures comply with legal requirements and industry best practice. You will also be responsible for building and maintaining a highly skilled, committed, motivated and productive workforce which can turn our dream into reality by championing a conducive work environment based on integrity and accountability.
This is a one-person HR department, so we are looking for an HR generalist with strong commitment and high energy.
Drive implementation, documentation and communication of all HR requirements across the organization
- Ensure that contracts, agreements and job descriptions are in place for all staff, contractors and volunteers, and updated as required.
- Keep, organize, maintain up to date staff files and the HR system to ensure legal compliance. Ensure confidentiality and security of employee data.
- Maintain the HR policy, and present to Board for approval. Conduct regular sessions with staff, to ensure it is appropriately communicated and understood.
- Manage all employee relations: work closely with staff and supervisors to address any grievances, concerns or HR issues quickly. Take the lead in disciplinary procedures as needed, according to the HR policy.
- Manage staff leave request processes.
- Ensure smooth and professional process for any exiting staff and required documentation.
- Manage safety, health and employee wellbeing; including implementation and oversight of WIBA insurance, health insurance, OSHA, fire safety, and more.
- Represent HR in the Management Team including advising on Kenyan labour laws and industry trends and best case practices
Drive employee motivation, development and performance
- Coordinate the Performance Appraisal System process by engaging managers to ensure PAs are completed as per schedule. Improve the PAs, and implement best practices to improve employee engagement and motivation.
- Develop and implement an annual training schedule based on PAs geared towards team building, capacity building and reduction of knowledge gaps.
- Work closely with managers to identify staff training, learning & development needs and opportunities specific to each department.
- Coordinate staff meetings (monthly staff meetings, trainings, community and orphan volunteer days, end year celebrations, team buildings, etc.)
- Coordinate the processes of recruitment, which includes vacancy announcements, sourcing candidates, shortlisting and interviews, with assistance from department leads.
- Liaise with Management for new offers, contracts, and salary determination.
- Constantly improve our orientation and onboarding, ensuring great integration of new staff, consultants and volunteers, setting them up for success.
- Keep, organize and maintain up-to-date employee records in the payroll system. Ensure that the wage sheet for casuals and the pay advice for staff is done monthly and submitted to the finance team.
- You are excited about bringing a talent management mind-set to an ambitious rural development organization.
- At least 3-5 years of work experience in Human Resources, ideally a busy generalist role.
- Proven skills and knowledge in all HR generalist areas, incl. payroll, contracts, labour laws, performance appraisals, PIP and recruitment.
- You have a vision for innovative onboarding and performance management driving organization culture and excellence.
- Strong past results in improving HR processes, ability to influence adoption in the team and iterating the process based on learnings.
- Experience in HR Software.
- You enjoy working in a people-facing role and you have strong communication, interpersonal and negotiation skills.
- You are very organized, with good time management and administration skills.
- You anticipate issues and have a proven track record of being resourceful in resource-constrained environments.
- Ideally you have engaged with grassroots organizations or non-profits before and you understand the different working culture in this space.
- You hold a degree in HR or related studies. CHRP is an added advantage.
- You are a member of IHRM and ideally hold a practicing license.
You have the right fit with our culture if
- You are compassionate and deeply care about children, youth and rural development.
- You value transparency and encourage accountability in all aspects of your life.
- You pride yourself on being flexible and adaptable to changing circumstances.
- You are humble and comfortable in varying settings, alternating between interacting with rural community members, international visitors and high-level stakeholder meetings.
- You value being part of a team that aims to set new industry standards.
Why work with us
- While our work with communities is very challenging, it is also very rewarding – you see lives changing before your eyes!
- You will be part of growing our impact with some exciting networks and partnerships that we have built over the past 15 years.
- We are on the journey to becoming a role model development organization and will in the process support many other CBOs and NGOs.
- We are a committed team and we care about each other.
- You will be living and working in a beautiful, calm and clean environment, with fresh air and close to Lake Victoria.
The role is based in our main office in a rural village in Rarieda, Siaya County.
We are looking for candidates who are excited about living and working in a rural setup for a minimum of 3-5 years. There is a six-month probation period and we will agree on performance and learning objectives
Method of Application
Interested female candidates are encouraged to apply to firstname.lastname@example.org by 27th September 2019.
Applicants should take time to reflect and make sure they resonate strongly with Rafiki wa Maendeleo Trust’s vision and mission before considering to apply: Website
Applications will be considered on rolling basis, If you don’t get a response from us two week after, the advert, kindly consider yourselves unsuccessful.