The United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP) is the leading global environmental authority that sets the global environmental agenda, promotes the coherent implementation of the environmental dimension of sustainable development within the United Nations system and serves as an authoritative advocate for the global environment. This position is located in UNEP’s Corporate Services Division at the Nairobi duty station. Under the supervision of the Chief, Financial Management Service, the Senior Finance and Budget Assistant will be responsible for the following duties:
- Acting as Certifying Officer on behalf of and in the absence of programme mangers at offices outside headquarters.
- Undertaking review, analyzing and preparing of the medium-term plan and its revisions.
- Reviewing analyzing and assisting in the finalization of cost estimates and budget proposals, in terms of staff and non-staff requirements, including programmatic aspects; ensuring compliance with the medium-term plan and other legislative mandates.
- Assisting managers in the elaboration of resource requirements for budget submissions.
- Undertaking research and providing support to higher level Finance & Budget Officers with respect to budget reviews of relevant intergovernmental and expert bodies.
- Providing input into the preparation of allotments, including redeployment of funds when necessary, ensuring appropriate expenditures.
- Monitoring budget implementation/expenditures and recommending reallocation of funds as necessary.
- Reviewing requisitions for goods and services to ensure (a) correct objects of expenditure have been charged, and (b) availability of funds.
- Monitoring extra-budgetary resources, including review of agreements and cost plans, ensuring compliance with regulations and rules and established policies and procedures.
- Assisting in the preparation of budget performance submissions.
- Assisting in finalization of budget performance reports, analysing variances between approved budgets and actual expenditures.
- Monitoring integrity of various financial databases.
- Verifying accuracy of input data, ensuring consistency of data in previous allotments to new allotments issued.
- Co-ordinating with other finance and budget staff on related issues during preparation of budget reports.
- Reviewing, analyzing and processing payments to third-parties, commercial entities, individuals and troop-contributing countries, with respect to settlement of certified death and disability, contingent-owned equipment, stores, pay and allowances, and letters of assist claims.
- Reviewing incoming payment instructions with regard to banking details and sources of funds.
- Preparing payments for final disbursement by cashier.
- Dispatching payment instructions and cheques to banks.
- Creating receipts and deposits for all incoming funds.
- Notifying payees of status of payments.
- Assisting staff members, fund management officers and donors regarding queries on payment and deposit-related issues.
- Identifying and annotating bank account movements. Monitoring bank balances worldwide.
- Assisting cashier in cash management and investment issues, including cash flow forecasts.
- Liaising with banks worldwide regarding outstanding items and payment instructions.
- Investigating complaints on non-receipts.
- Monitoring cheque stock and orders new stock as required.
- Reviewing inter and intra-unit processes with aim to optimising workflow and customer orientation.
- Monitoring/reviewing methods used to remit payments.
- Assisting in preparation of periodical reports: cash flow, contributions, etc.
- Following-up on audit recommendations.
- Following-up on fraud cases.
- Assisting cashier in the daily operation of the Cashier’s Unit responsible for the transmittal of payments worldwide.
- Filing and archiving as required.
- Keeping up-to-date on documents/reports/guidelines that have a bearing on matters related to programme and/or peacekeeping budgets, ensuring compliance with intergovernmental recommendations and decisions as well as with United Nations policies and procedures.
- Drafting or preparing correspondence to respond to inquiries in respect to relevant financial and budget matters.
- Providing guidance, training and daily supervision to other general service staff in the area of responsibility.
- Performing other related duties, as assigned.
- PROFESSIONALISM: Knowledge of, and ability to apply financial rules, regulations and procedures in the UN environment. Knowledge, skills and ability to extract, interpret, analyse and format data across the full range of finance and budget functions, including programme development and database management, claims and treasury operations. Ability to identify and resolve data discrepancies and operational problems. Shows pride in work and in achievements; demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations. Commitment to implementing the goal of gender equality by ensuring the equal participation and full involvement of women and men in all aspects of work.
- TEAMWORK: Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organizational goals; solicits input by genuinely valuing others’ ideas and expertise; is willing to learn from others; places team agenda before personal agenda; supports and acts in accordance with final group decision, even when such decisions may not entirely reflect own position; shares credit for team accomplishments and accepts joint responsibility for team shortcomings.
- PLANNING & ORGANIZING: Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies; identifies priority activities and assignments; adjusts priorities as required; allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work; foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning; monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary; uses time efficiently.
- High school diploma or equivalent is required. Additional training or qualification in finance, budget or accounting is highly desirable.
- Passing the Global General Service Test (GGST) is a prerequisite for recruitment consideration in the General Services and related categories in the United Nations Secretariat.
- Successful passing of the Administrative Support Assessment Test (ASAT) in English at the United Nations Headquarters (UNHQ), Economic Commission for Africa (ECA), Economic and Social Commission for Western Asia (ESCWA), United Nations Office at Geneva (UNOG), United Nations Office at Vienna (UNOV), International Criminal Tribunal for Rwanda (ICTR) or International Criminal Tribunal for the former Yugoslavia (ICTY) may be accepted in lieu of the GGST.
- The GGST is administered to applicants when required before the administration of a written assessment and/or interview.
- A minimum of ten (10) years of progressively responsible experience in finance, budget, accounting, administrative services or related area is required.
- Working experience with an Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) system such as Oracle or SAP is required. Experience with data analysis, reconciliations and reporting is desirable.
- Experience in an international organization such as the United Nations is desirable.
English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. For the post advertised, fluency in oral and written English is required. Knowledge of another official United Nations language is an advantage.
Evaluation of qualified candidates may include an assessment exercise which may be followed by competency-based interview.
Appointment against this post is for an initial period of one year and may be subject to extension. Appointment against this post is on a local basis. External candidates will be considered only when no suitable candidate from the duty station is identified. The candidate is responsible for any travel expenses incurred in order to take up the appointment.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified? Go to United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP) career website on careers.un.org to apply