- Sanivation has been working in East Africa for the past 5 years developing an innovative model for waste-to-energy sanitation services.
- We are at the cutting-edge of bringing bankable sanitation infrastructure projects to East Africa.
- Sanivation partners with national and county governments, water utilities, national regulators, and development finance institutions.
- Currently recruiting for a Director of Project Development to bring new sanitation projects to financial close.
- Requirements: Project finance, asset developer and project developer experience, preferably in energy
- We partner with local government to deploy treatment plants that process human waste into firewood substitutes to preserve resources and prevent environmental degradation from untreated human waste.
- Sanivation has earned a reputation of successful project execution in one of the most challenging and yet most critical infrastructure sectors.
- Sanivation currently has three operational treatment sites. We are actively expanding across East Africa to help numerous communities have access to modern and environmentally friendly sanitation infrastructure
The Director of Project Development will lead Sanivation’s replication from prototype to scale and lead the company to focus more on project development. This role will bring together key partners to ensure new sanitation projects achieve financial close.
This role will report directly to the Chief Executing Officer working alongside the Partnerships, Fundraising and Engineering teams to bring new projects to financial close. This role will also work closely with the Business Operations team in transitioning from financial close to construction.
This role has the opportunity to be a key thought leader on shaping how project development in sanitation infrastructure is done for developing markets.
- 4+ years of experience at one of the following
- The project finance team of top-tier investment or commercial bank or project finance experience as a strategy consultant
- An asset manager investing in energy or infrastructure
- Experience working with development finance institutions, such as IFC, FMO, AfDB, OPIC, etc, is critical
- 2+ years of experience at a project developer (clean energy or infrastructure project developer preferred) with sizable project portfolio
- Experience working with big philanthropy
- Experience working with governments in developing markets
- Leadership and Strategy
- Lead and advise Sanivation’s project development team and advise on company strategy
- Advise on energy product off take strategy with industrial fuel buyers
- Create engagement strategy with government on renewable fuel products
- Project Development
- Lead early and late stage projects at any development stage to reach financial close
- Develop project’s optimal capital structure and - Identify financing barriers and develop creative solutions around them
- Evaluate and help structure pay for success, output based aid, concession, tariff, and joint-venture agreement financing and partnership models.
- Advise on project risk allocation and legal agreements including partnership structures, construction and design contracts, and O&M contracts
- Financing & Market
- Support fundraising processes from both private sector investors and development finance institutions
- Build and reviewing bankable project finance models and drafting of investment memorandums
- Conduct market assessment and analysis; including review of integrated resource plans and national renewable energy policies
- A critical and creative thinker, current on global events, who is intellectually stimulated to work at the confluence of energy and sanitation, geo-politics, economics, and the environment.
- Excellent analytical ability and discipline, ability to think clearly and communicate effectively, and drive company strategy.
- Eager to create systems from scratch and educate a team on industry best practices
- Comfortable with a start-up environment, with multiple priorities and quick timelines
- Able to live and work in Naivasha, Kenya for minimum 2 years
Apply for this role now, deadline is September 30th 2019.