Terre des Hommes Netherlands is looking for a full time Project Accountant, to be based in Kakuma, Turkana West Sub County, Turkana County, Kenya. This is a national position, open to applicants who can prove the right to live and work in Kenya. Initial contract period will be for 8 months (with possible extension)
Objective of the position
The Project Accountant works with the Nairobi based Country Team, and receives hierarchical supervision from the Finance and Administration Officer (FAO). He/she will be expected to work in close collaboration with the Project Manager accountable for the full roll out and oversight of the UNICEF & TdH-NL project addressing Sexual and Gender Based Violence (SGBV) in Turkana West Sub county, Turkana County, as part of our programme focusing on child sexual exploitation in Kenya. S/he will be responsible for ensuring timely and effective support, logistical and financial facilitation/administration to enable smooth implementation of the project. This is an anticipated position to be filled subject to funds availability for the project.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
- To coordinate with the Finance and Administration Officer on all finance related issues of the assigned project;
- To be responsible for all financial (cash and cheque) transactions and recordings and safekeeping of related documents;
- To be responsible for timely monthly financial reports and budget requests of assigned project and to keep the books as per the guidelines of the regional office and requirements of national government;
- To assist in office audits/monitoring visits undertaken by the Nairobi office;
- To be responsible for safeguarding the organisation’s assets in close coordination with the project manager and the country office;
- Responsible for managing cash flow and transfers to the assigned projects;
- Responsible for verification of bank details for assigned projects before forwarding them to Finance and Administration Officer;
- Responsible for overseeing and monitoring project expenditure and reporting any irregularities to the Finance and Administration Officer;
- To ensure field advances are settled in a timely manner in line with the financial guidelines;
- To perform field monitoring visits to the assigned projects;
- To support project staff to ensure that the project reports are delivered on time and are of good quality, according to TdH-NL and donor standards.
- Identify together with Finance and Administration Officer areas for further improvement on financial management and define frameworks, procedures and indicators oriented towards improved organisational and financial management;
- Responsible for organising day to day field logistics for the field team and Kenya Country office team field visit;
- Responsible for procurements of the Kakuma field office ensuring they are in line with TdH financial guidelines;
- To carry out any other duties that can reasonably be asked of this position.
Education, experience and skills required
- Relevant University degree up to at least Bachelor's level.
- Relevant accounting professional qualification up to completion level.
- Practical experience in financial administration - planning/budgeting, execution, controlling, documentation and reporting (grant management cycle).
- Minimum of four (4) years relevant working experience in a similar non-profit organisation.
- Previous experience of working with INGOs highly desirable.
- Advanced knowledge of MS Excel/Google sheets is essential.
- Social skills required for communication with external relations and colleagues, the acquisition of clarifications of data, reports and the solving of problems.
- Accuracy and attention to detail
- Focus on results
- Ability to work in a team
- Strong interpersonal communication skills- written and orally
- Planning, organising, cooperation, performance oriented
- High degree of taking initiative and working independently