VSO is the world’s leading international development organisation that works through volunteers to fight poverty. Working in 24 countries around the world, our unique role in international development is to place committed volunteers with carefully selected organisations where their skills can have the greatest impact. Our extraordinary volunteers live and work in some of the world’s poorest communities. Sharing their unique skills and experience to generate new ideas and new ways of doing things, helping the communities they work in lift themselves out of poverty. We’re not about delivering quick fixes, but instead we focus on long-lasting, sustainable change, that will impact generations to come. Join us and help us work towards our vision of a world without poverty.
Salary: KES 1,660,000 Gross per annum
Contract type: Fixed Term
The M&E officer will support the successful implementation of the Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning (MEL) framework in line with the project design such as tracking of every out of school girl using an MIS system and monitoring field activity implementation by staff and partners. The M&E officer will be required to support the project officers to embed M&E systems and processes in their work and to support the project team to gather evidence of change and use learning to adapt, improve and to advocate for change. The M&E officer will also support data collection and knowledge generation within the Education Programme.
Skills, qualifications and experience
- Bachelor’s degree in social sciences, development studies/economics, or monitoring and evaluation.
- A minimum of 3 years’ experience and progressive responsibility working in Programme management, Reporting and M&E for donor funded development programmes e.g. DFID, USAID, EU, Ford Foundation; Open Society etc
- Proactively demonstrates the value of M&E data by generating insightful analytical reports that add value to VSO’s interpretation of that data and results
- Promotes learning agendas, collaboration, adaptive programming, and knowledge management activities
- Interpret outcomes of implementation through data or other evidenced-based sources and provide program recommendations as needed.
- Strong proficiency in MS Office suite (Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint) with ability to analyze and interpret data using Excel, MIS online reporting tools, or statistical packages such as SAS, SPSS, STATA, EPINFO, ENA for SMART, SQL
- Knowledge on gender and social inclusion practices
- Experience of developing performance indicators; conducting routine monitoring of data for donor-funded projects; and conducting participatory or impact evaluations.
- Experience writing reports, findings and recommendations in assessment or evaluations, especially under institutional donor contracts, and
- Experience of development of knowledge management strategies
- Proven experience in coaching and mentoring of team members
- Experience working in education, disability or youth programmes
- Strong conceptual and analytical skills
- Competence in program cycle management and strong drafting ability
- Excellent communication, report writing and facilitation skills
- Ability to work in a diverse team environment
- Good written and spoken English and Kiswahili skills,
- Ability to coordinate well with personnel within and outside the project, meet deadlines and work with minimal supervision.
- Excellent relationship management skills and experience working with people in different contexts;
- Self-starter with initiative and confidence to lead in their designated field – can work independently and prioritize own work load
- Evidence of effective problem solving and organisational skills.
- Evidence of professionalism and high integrity.
- Evidence of openness to learning to improve own performance
COMPETENCIES AND BEHAVIOUR
At VSO we believe progress is only possible by working together. Whether you want to join us as an employee, or as a volunteer working in your own country, overseas or online, our selection process includes an assessment based on these core
- Certification in Special Needs Education or inclusive Education
- Knowledge of Kenyan Sign Language
- Previous experience in implementing Disability project
- Being up-to-date on Communications; current debates around development effectiveness; research and evaluation methodologies
- Ability to be open minded and respectful
- Ability to be resilient and adaptive to new situations
- Ability to facilitate positive change and build sustainable working relationships
- Ability to seek and share knowledge
VSO promotes equal opportunities and values a diverse workforce.
VSO reserves the right to close this job early if we receive a sufficient number of applications.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified? Go to Voluntary Service Overseas career website on www.vsointernational.org to apply