Fairtrade Africa is the independent non-profit umbrella organisation representing all Fairtrade certified producers in Africa. Fairtrade Africa is owned by its members, who are African producer organisations certified against international Fairtrade standards producing traditional export commodities such as coffee, cocoa, tea, cotton, bananas, mango and non-traditional commodities including shea butter and rooibos tea. Currently, the organisation represents over 1,050,000 producers across 33 countries in Africa.
ABOUT THE JOB
You are responsible for the entire Partners’ Financial Management and Grant Management as well as for essential supportive tasks within the Fairtrade Africa (FTA) Finance Unit staff.
Post holder reports to: Finance Manager
Staff reporting to this post: none
BUDGET RESPONSIBILITY: Yes
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
Key Performance Areas
Grants & Partner Management
- Ensure budget control by adequately checking all costs that are chargeable to grants/ projects.
- Participate in grant proposal development and extensions, by providing technical support in development of grant budgets that are in line with effective implementation of grants, donor requirements and FTA policy
- Review Field Financial Documents/Sub-grantee documents regularly to ascertain the level of internal controls in the financial process.
- Continuously monitor budget commitments for projects and advise Line Manager on any significant occurrences
- Monitor financial performance for grants and produce reports according to donor reporting requirements
- Manage preparation, consolidation and distribution of timely monthly, quarterly and annual financial statements reflecting status of projects and or programs on grant-to-date basis in accordance with Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP) and donor requirements
- Develop Partners financial reporting template and guidelines for use during reporting.
- Facilitate transfer of funds to partners and ensure close monitoring of utilization of funds.
- Carry out periodic review of internal control environment affecting both program and support operations for potential risk exposures; continually monitor and update the assessment of the control environment, keeping abreast of significant control aspects
- Monitor compliance with grant funding requirements and provide appropriate guidance to programme and partner staff including allowable and non-allowable costs, grant closeout, preparation of budget modifications and requests for carry over or extensions as needed
- Support developing/drafting contracts for partners that are compliant to FTA donors regulations
- Regularly review of partner organization’s reports and provide them with documented feedback ensuring they comply with FTA Financial Management Guidelines
- Execute other tasks and responsibilities assigned by the Finance Manager
- Post and review all expenditures and transactions in Hansaworld, according to programme and projects budgets and FTA guidelines
- Ensuring that all information required for audit is availed including financial reports
- Review payments, journal entries, cost allocations and other postings into accounting system and ensure proper coding, data quality and integrity of all accounting/financial transactions
- Analyse risk areas in internal controls and recommend mitigating measures
- Carry out monthly reconciliations of sub award accounts.
SKILLS & EXPERIENCE REQUIRED
Knowledge and experience
Minimum Academic Requirement
- A holder of university degree in Business Management, Commerce or any other equivalent qualification
- Certified Public Accountant in Kenya and a registered member with ICPAK in good standing
Other Specialist Training and technical skills
- Command of Accounting Systems, in particular Hansaworld. Experience in Programme Management Information systems an added advantage
- Experience in managing large donor-funded budgets and reporting to donors.
- At least four years of experience in similar functions in an international non-governmental organization
- Advanced book-keeping skills, including the ability to analyse financial information and prepare complete financial statements.
- Experience in enforcing internal financial procedures
- Proactive attitude to budget monitoring and reporting, preferably with experience in advanced reporting requirements
- The candidate must be accurate, thorough, and able to consistently meet deadlines.
- Proficiency in English language, both written and spoken
- Possess advance Excel skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills with ability to interact with individuals across multi-functional and cultural disciplines
Minimum Years of Relevant Experience
At least 3- 5 years’ experience in a similar position
Communication demands and competencies
- Good command of spoken and written English
- Experience in report writing
Method of Application
Interested and qualified? Go to Fairtrade International career website on www.fairtradeafrica.net to apply