Job Purpose Africa Educational Trust is running a learning centre in Laikipia North for girls who have left school after completing their primary schooling but are now ambitious to complete their Secondary Education and sit the National School Leaving Examination (KCSE). The centre is in Kimanjo Town and the girls are now in their third year and are expected to take their KCSE in November 2020. Thus, AET is seeking to employ a full time teacher who is qualified to teach a Math/Chemistry combination. The suitable candidate should be someone who is committed to advancing education among girls in this local community.
Terms of Reference:
- Teach Math and Chemistry and be able to fit in with the centre’s flexible timetable
- Ensure appropriate academic and pastoral support to their students enabling an atmosphere conducive to learning
- Be able to apply modern, student centred methodologies to their subject that are conducive to adult learning and to the principles of an accelerated program
- Assist in the development and monitoring of the accelerated schemes of work that will ensure the girls are prepared for examinations in the subjects they are teaching by 2020
- Provide the head teacher with regular reports on the progress of the students based on regular assessments analysing and addressing problems as they arise.
- Set and mark homework and examinations in their subjects and support in the administration of the school and the examinations when required.
- Take on any other roles or responsibilities assigned to them by the head teacher.
Note that candidates are expected to have the majority but not all of these skills and experience. Also note that candidates must have the right to work in Kenya.
The successful candidate should:
- Be a professionally qualified secondary level teacher
- Be qualified to teach Math and Chemistry at secondary level with sound knowledge of their subject content and modern approaches to teaching and learning.
- Have strong interpersonal skills with the ability to work within a team.
- Is able to empathise with young female students and identify and support their ambitions to succeed
- Willing to support and contribute to co- curriculum activities will be a major advantage
- Have good IT and report writing skills
- Willing to live and ability to work in a hardship area (DolDol-Laikipia North).
- Qualified teacher registered with the Teacher Service Commission (TSC).
- Diploma or Bachelor’s degree in education