The purpose of the Regional Finance Controller position is to provide overall support on all Financial Matters within East Africa & Great lakes Region in close collaboration with the Regional Finance Manager. Initiate development of a constant improvement of financial and administrative systems, procedures, guidelines etc that can lead to more efficient financial management in line with DRC guidelines. Implement relevant training on financial matters for all relevant staff in the region.
- Review country offices (Countries in EAGL) projects/proposal budgets for accuracy, completeness and ensure RO and HQ contributions are provided for.
- Review Budget Follow up ( BFU), Co-funding setup and Budget amendments in DRC Dynamics
- Review Countries Operational Master Budgets for accuracy, completeness and ensure gaps/surpluses are correctly addressed.
- Review Prognosis
Financial Compliance & Risk Management
- Conduct Financial & compliance, Desk and in-country reviews.
- Support internal and external audits
- Review Annual Performance Indicators (APIs)
- Review Risk registers & Issues Log reports
- Track high-risk audit/compliance items and incorporate into the Desk review reports.
- Review of donor reports for accuracy, compliance with donor requirements and timeliness
Bank management, reconciliations & Closures
- Review completion of month end tasks by country programs.
- Ensure that Country offices have updated authorization, signature verifications, power of Attorneys and Bank mandates in place as per Operations Handbook.
- Follow up and monitor monthly reconciliation overviews of balance sheet items.
Trainings & Capacity Building of staff in the region
- Conduct Finance training for non-Finance Managers for the country programs.
- Capacity Building of Field Finance Staff on DRC Dynamics, financial procedures and proper supporting documentation for payments and ensure all DRC offices are following DRC, donor policies and accepted accounting principles.
Backfilling of other staff
- Back filling of Country programs during periods of gaps and backfilling for the other RFCs.
The Regional Finance Controller reports to the Regional Finance Manager
In this position, you are expected to demonstrate each of DRC’s five core competencies:
- Striving for excellence: you focus on reaching results while ensuring an efficient process
- Collaborating: you involve relevant parties and encourage feedback.
- Taking the lead: you take ownership and initiative while aiming for innovation.
- Communicating: You listen and speak effectively and honestly.
- Demonstrating integrity: you act in line with our vision and values
Experience and technical competencies
- Degree in Finance or Accounting and final certification in CPA or ACCA with at least 5 years work experience in finance or accounting in INGOs.
- Minimum 5 years’ relevant experience, preferably in an international NGO with at least 5 years work experience in finance or accounting.
- Excellent knowledge in preparing major international donor reports
- Knowledge of Microsoft Dynamics or other similar systems is an added advantage
- Possess strong analytical and conceptual skills
- Proven management skills
- Fluent in written and spoken English.
Contract: Contract ending 31 December 2019, with possibility of extension, subject to funding and Performance. Salary and other conditions are offered in accordance with DRC’s Terms of Employment for national staff in Kenya. This position is under Employment Band NM G1
Availability: November 2019
Commitments: DRC has a Humanitarian Accountability Framework, outlining its global accountability commitments. All staff are required to contribute to the achievement of this framework.
Interested candidates who meet the required qualifications and experience are invited to submit updated CV and cover letter in English through the online application on www.drc.ngo under vacancies no later than 11 October 2019.