STANDARD MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
Education: Completion of secondary school education. A post-secondary certificate in the related functional area is desirable.
Language: General Service (Headquarters): Fluency (level C) in English language. Fluency (level C) or intermediate knowledge (level B) of another official language may be required depending on the location of the post or area of responsibility.
General Service (Field): Fluency in both oral and written communication in the UN language in use at the duty station and in the duty station’s language, if different.
These jobs are found in Country Offices (COs), Regional Bureaus (RBs), and Headquarters (HQ). The Job holders report to a Head of Unit, Chief, Administration Officer, or the designate.
At this level job holders are expected to take responsibility for completion of a range of processes and activities requiring some interpretation of standard guidelines/practices. Job holders are able to recommend a course of action to staff at various levels and may allocate tasks to other support staff.
To support effective delivery and maintenance of client-focused, value-for-money oriented quality administrative practices.
KEY ACCOUNTABILITIES (not all-inclusive)
- Assist the Protocol team in carrying out the work of the Programme Unit, and deputize for the Manager in his/her absence as follows: Apply the provisions of the the WFP Host Country Agreement to Internationally recruited UN Staff Members posted to the Kenya Duty Station;
- Coordinate with the relevant Kenya Government representatives (demonstrating tact, dimplomacy, firmenss and persistence when necessary) to negotiate and solve sensitive and complicated problems. Escalate issues to the Head of Admin if necessary.
- Maintain regular contact with the regular Kenyan Government offices to ensure that information available to staff on immigration, duty-free, and VAT exemptions is updated immediately changes occur.
- Conduct briefings for new staff members on immigration formalities, duty-free and tax exemption priviledges, and vehicle registration, and ensure that the information is up-to-date; provide guidance to staff members in completing forms relating to the priviledges and exemptions.
- Ensure the timely processing of the following for the organization and eligible internationally recruited staff members and thier dependents : notification of arrival documentation and the issuance of diplomatic identity cards and PIN numbers. Issuance of re-entry passes and renewal of the same; duty free imports and purchase of duty free liquour and tobacco (oficia l/ staff members); issuance and renewal of interim and new Kenyan driving licenses; registration of new / second hand vehicles and transfer / disposal of used vehicles (official / staff members); VAT exepmtions (official / staff members), issuane of red number plates and airport passes.
- Provide assistance to the Protocol team in the maintenane and integrity of data and records, generation of reliable reports and statistics, and daily work distribution within the Unit, as follows: Maintain an up-to-date filing system and electronic database with client data and ensure the integrity of data stored therein. Track expery dates of documents and visas and notify clients to initiate renewal action in good time.
- Prepare workload statistics from data extracted from all databases and generate reports as required.
- Prepare correspondence, Note Verbales, covering letters, amd reports upon request.
- Records and Data Management: Responsible for assembling, cataloguing, preserving and managing valuable collections of historical information for the country office. Ensure the CO complies wiht the records management reculations and policies.
- Manage the archived paper documents in line iwht the corporate guidelines ensuring that archived documents are readily retreivable.
- Manage the set-up of electronic records archives, ensuring swift and easy data access and retrieval as required.
- Set-up of filing system ensuring that Country Office information is accurately managed and readily available and accessible.
- Manage the safe disposal of archived documents in accordance wiht the retention policy.
- Ensure that records are well protected,, managing the environment where they are stored.
- Supervise other General Service Staff in the Unit as follows: Provide guidance to other general service staff in the Unit.
- Foster teamwork and communication among staff in the Unit.
- Lead by example.
Capability Name Description of the behaviour expected for the proficiency level Business Support Services & Reporting Exhibits ability to convert business plans into clear actions for team members to support the implementation of the program. Collects and reports data to draw out fact-based insights. Internal Controls & Risk Management Demonstrates basic knowledge of internal controls, risk management, and monitoring mechanisms and their applicability to immediate client’s critical activities. Resource Management Monitors trends in staffing and resource usage to anticipate and escalate potential issues to programme leaders and key clients. Specialised Knowledge in Administrative Services Demonstrates a broad or specialist knowledge of administration best practices, techniques and processes, and a good grasp of WFP standards, processes, and infrastructure in area of responsibility; applies this to ensure the provision of efficient and effective administration services. Customer Focus Monitors and supervises administrative work against the established standards and protocols for service excellence. Ensures that customer problems are identified and resolved.
DESIRED EXPERIENCES FOR ENTRY INTO THE ROLE
- Has demonstrated an ability to perform all routine administrative activities in line with WFPs operating standards through day to day work
- Has supported in providing ad-hoc guidance to new staff members
ADDITIONAL COMPETENCIES REQUIRED FOR THE ROLE:
- Client Orientation:Considers all those to whom services are provided to be "clients" and seeks to see things from clients' point of view;
- Establishes and maintains productive partnerships with cliesnts by gaining their trust and respect;
- Identifies clients' needs and matches them to appropriate solutions;
- Monitors ongoing developments inside and outside the clietnts' environment to keep informed and anticipate problems;
- Keeps clients informed of progress or setbacks in projects;
- Meets timeline for delivery of services to clients,
- Technology Awareness:Keeps abreat of available technology
- Understands applicability and limitation of technology to the work of the office
- Actively seeks to apply technology to appropriate tasks
- Shows willingness to learn new technology.
- Knowledge of database maintanance functions;
- Ability to undertake basic research and gather information from standard sources.
- Demonstrated ability to apply good judgement in the contect of assignments given;
- Shows pride in work and in achievements;
- Demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter;
- Is conscientious and efficient in meeting committments, observing deadlines and achieving results;
- Is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns;
- Shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges;
- Remains calm in stressful situations.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
- Qualified female candidates are particularly encouraged to apply.
- For any queries write to Nairobi.email@example.com
- WFP is an equal opportunity employer and does not charge any fees during the recruitment process.
- Only short-listed applicants will be contacted