We are a strong, vibrant, and engaged global team committed to empowering East Africa’s youth to confidently address life’s challenges and opportunities, thrive in the global economy, and catalyze positive change. Because complex system challenges require system solutions, we deliver an ecosystem model of interconnected programs that encourage, educate, train, and apply knowledge to life challenges. Programs are managed by local staff and delivered in concert with global support and key partners in the communities where we work.
The Asante Africa Foundation - Kenya Scholarship Program Manager will oversee and coordinate sponsorship programs and linkage to other programs and ensure they are compliant with the organization's strategic plan and policies. Will be responsible for all aspects of the administration of primary, high school and university scholarship students by liaising with learning institutions, implementing partners and the team, and communicating student standing, financial support and timely payments of fees. We seek a qualified, motivated, “start-up” type of leader to help create the organization, and processes for our existing scholarship programs, and new student-based initiatives. This person must have the ability to develop relationships with youth, family members, school educators, and officials, local community leaders, and village communities. Field experience in rural and remote areas is frequent and travel with overnight stays will be required routinely. Asante Africa Foundation alumni are encouraged to apply if basic requirements are met.
- Strategic and Operational Planning (40%)
- Provide strategic leadership, lead a team, and support to scholarship staff in the achievement of program targets as well as in their individual development and performance.
- Collaborate with the Country Program Manager to develop and oversee an annual budget for Scholarship Programs.
- Under general supervision, implement the strategic and operating plans for the Scholarship Program in alignment with Asante Africa Foundation’s mission and overall strategic plan.
- Oversee and Manage the Annual budgeting process, Monitor expenditure of approved budget and revisit plans to ensure budget performance is within approved limits. Oversee disbursement of school fees and funds for personal effects on a timely basis.
- Collaborate with the development department to identify and implement opportunities to engage donors and increase alumni volunteer engagement. Support donor stewardship events.
- Develop and maintain metrics for the programs. Analyze the effectiveness of strategies, events, and activities, making and implementing strategic and operational recommendations. Lead the writing of impact reports for Scholarship Programs.
- Ensure scholars and parents/guardians are effectively engaged & participate in scholarship and program activities.
- Ensure the existence of controls for proper risk management in the scholarship program.
- ●Develop and implement strategic and operational improvements to enhance the alumni volunteer engagement experience and increase participation at events.
- Collaborate with the Senior Director and Associate Director to identify and implement process improvements, and to streamline and document the processes for matching scholars with endowments.
- Oversee and mentor a team of professional staff and youth or student assistants.
- Scholar Selection, Mentorship and linkage (30%)
- Lead and manage the selections process for all scholarships, developing selections criteria, updating scholarship applications, updating selections rubrics, event planning and management, and data management.
- Collaborate with the Manager of Finance and Administration in fund disbursement for scholarship applicants using the Financial Aid disbursement process.
- Collaboratively with your staff, build relationships with scholars, and their parents, teachers to develop an understanding of their personal strengths and challenges, and foster a supportive classroom environment. Motivate and support participants to persevere through challenges and continue on their journey of professional and personal growth.
- Continuously strengthen the Mentorship Process in setting realistic goals and objectives and allocate time with the mentee to follow through on commitments. Screens all potential mentor candidates through background checks and interviews. Develop an understanding of resources available for the mentees and provide guidance to them based on his/her needs.
- With the team, supervise ongoing mentor/mentee relationship, including management of reporting and providing mentor support.
- Schedule and conduct professional development and career talks, student meetings, school visits, parents meetings and other events that may arise.
- To provide comprehensive college counseling to AAF scholars and alumni applying to universities, fellowships and scholarships opportunities.
- Analyze surveys, data, and scoring trends, benchmarks and selections best practices to improve the selections process annually for Scholars.
- Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning (30%)
- Oversee maintenance and updates, and the workflow processes for scholarship management and communications platforms, applications, and technologies. Identify, recommend, and implement improvements. Responsible for Annual Program Plans, Program Key Performance Indicators, data collection, analysis and report writing on the scholarship program on monthly, quarterly and annual basis.
- Ensuring Salesforce database and other software support systems are updated on a regular basis and generating reports and presenting to donors on a quarterly basis; to facilitate data-driven decision making.
- Manage and Document youth case studies, profiles, photos and videos of all scholars.
- Research and maintain a comprehensive database of financial aid, scholarships, and fellowships.
Educational Qualifications, Competencies and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in Education, Social Sciences or Project Management;
- At least 5 years’ experience working with youth/sponsorship program;
- Strong expertise with arid, nomadic, pastoralist communities coming from rural and remote communities;
- Experience in designing and managing beneficiary monitoring and database systems;
- Ability to work with confidential and sensitive information;
- Able to manage multiple deadlines with short, competing turnaround times. Extremely collaborative and comfortable working in a fast-paced environment under broad supervision;
- Experience using databases and customer relationship management (CRM) tools. Experience maintaining and extracting data from complex alumni databases;
- Excellent computer skills and ability to learn and use project management platforms, complex databases, excel spreadsheets, word processing applications using Microsoft Office and Google applications. Technology savvy for employing web-based instructional techniques and tools. Innovative, creative and comfortable researching, learning and using online applications and platforms;
- Strong knowledge of program implementation, monitoring and evaluation techniques and practices;
- Good communication (oral and written) skills in English and Swahili required;
- Organized, self-driven and able to work with minimum supervision, independently as well as part of a team;
- Knowledge of management resources, policies, and procedures. Previous management experience, and the ability to oversee and mentor full-time and part-time staff.
Method of Application
Must be a Kenya Citizen and have experience in deep rural and nomadic communities. Do not apply as an expat or an urban only candidate. Please submit your CV, Cover Letter to firstname.lastname@example.org and note: Kenya Scholarship Manager in the Subject Line.
Please send your application as one attachment ONLY in PDF format. This position will remain open until filled, however, we encourage you to submit your materials for consideration by Friday, October 4, 2019.