Since 1963 and in 146 countries, ACDI/VOCA has empowered people in developing and transitional nations to succeed in the global economy. Based in Washington, D.C., ACDI/VOCA is a nonprofit international development organization that delivers technical and management assistance in agribusiness, financial services, enterprise development, community development and food security in order to promote broad-based economic growth and vibrant civil society. ACDI/VOCA currently has approximately 49 projects in 30 countries and total revenues of $151 million.
PROJECT: Kenya LMS, Leader
REPORTS TO: Leader Chief of Party
The Communications Manager will take a dynamic approach to developing and executing the Livestock Market Systems Activity communications strategy. S/he will build relationships across the LMS project portfolio with staff and take a proactive approach to identifying stories and messaging that communicate LMS learning and results to various stakeholders, especially USAID. S/he will lead both internal and external communications efforts, S/he will contribute to content-development of project outreach materials, including learning, success stories, Facebook/LinkedIn postings, Tweets, presentations, photography, videography, events management, and media relations. S/he will liaise between project partners, beneficiaries, key project staff, and local service providers to build a strong bridge for the exchange of information and incorporate the project’s learning, results and findings into the overall communications and outreach activities of the project.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Review the existing communication strategy and update it regularly, as applicable
- Develop the annual communications work plan based on the Leader and Associate awards work plans;
- Execute the activities in the communications work plan using overarching communication strategy for LMS;
- Attend monthly USAID communications meeting and actively participate in the LMS Communications Working Group and execute on action items that come out of these meetings;
- Proactively work with field staff across LMS using the project updates from the field and other reporting to identify learning and achievements;
- Craft messages (case studies, one pagers, webinar, tweets, LinkedIn posts etc.) to disseminate learning and results to different stakeholders (USAID, implementing partners, government of Kenya and others);
- Coordinate with program staff to gather information for writing programmatic communications including manuals, graphics, articles, success and impact stories that offer analytical story telling;
- Share appropriate content with ACDI/VOCA’s HQ to be distributed on the weekly internal newsletter “AV Global”, on ACDI/VOCA’s public website and social media;
- Edit project reporting deliverables such as quarterly and annual reports to ensure we are communicating our progress, learning, and results in alignment with USAID’s Journey to Self-Reliance;
- Lead and coordinate with field staff the organization of events. This includes drafting communications collateral (manuals, press releases, key messages, success stories, talking points, graphics etc.);
- Build the capacity of and provide communications support to LMS team;
- Maintain a comprehensive database of communications consultants who can offer niche communications services;
- Manage LMS’s photo library and conduct photo editing as appropriate.
- Education: Master’s degree in Mass Communication or its equivalent
- Experience: A minimum of 5 years’ experience in communication specially using digital media and excellent writing skills;
- Excellent written and verbal English communication skills;
- Experience drafting and executing a comprehensive communication plan in support of a project strategy, incorporating a variety of media and tactics;
- Experience writing and managing content for a variety of media including digital and social media platforms (Twitter, LinkedIn, Facebook, etc.), video scripts and story-boarding, case studies, and factsheets/briefings;
- Ability to work proactively with teams to anticipate and identify learning and results occurring in the field and craft messaging around those;
- Ability to work independently as well as build relationships across a variety of internal and external stakeholders;
- Ability to represent the project in external meetings including with the donor;
- Ability to research, analyze, evaluate and synthesize information quickly;
- Ability and willingness to travel in LMS’s implementation counties (Garissa, Isiolo, Marsabit, Turkana, Wajir), including to remote locations;
- Knowledge of graphic design and photo/video editing software.