The AECF (Africa Enterprise Challenge Fund) is a development institution which supports early and growth stage businesses to innovate, create jobs, leverage investments and markets in an effort to create resilience and sustainable incomes in rural and marginalized communities in Africa.
AECF’s strategy is focused on agribusiness/agriculture and renewable energy sectors with increased support to climate smart technologies, deepened focus on gender, youth, and employment, aimed at attaining the institution’s vision of ‘A Prosperous and Enterprising Rural Africa’.
Since 2008, AECF has raised US$ 356M and invested in 268 businesses across sub-Sahara Africa focusing on Agribusiness, Renewable Energy and Climate Smart Technologies. As at 2018, AECF has impacted more than 17 million lives and created over 12,000 jobs, achieved total development impact of over US$ 690 million and leveraged over US$ 560 million in matching funds from the private sector. During this period, AECF has built a strong track record of understanding the needs of early and growth stage businesses, diverse markets and regulatory environments in more than 40 technology/value chains and built a deep & broad pipeline from 31 competitions attracting over 10,000 applications.
The ideal candidate for the Finance Director role is be self- driven, has a strong work ethic with a high standard of attention to detail and quality. The incumbent will be a member of the AECF senior management team and will be responsible for providing oversight and leading the work of the Finance function in line with the AECF strategic goals. The role holder will have overall responsibility for managing and reporting AECF’s finances.
- Direct and oversee all aspects of the Finance & Accounting functions of AECF;
- Provide timely and accurate analysis of budgets, financial reports and financial trends in order to assist the Board and senior management team in executing their responsibilities, and ensuring that all tax, audit and compliance aspects are addressed in timely manner;
- Ensure AECF’s compliance with relevant accounting standards and reporting in AECF’s countries of operation;
- Oversee the company’s transaction processing systems, monitoring cash balances, developing cash projection processes, and providing timely financial information and reports;
- Ensure timely, accurate and transparent financial reporting to donors and other partners as required;
- Oversee the production of cash flow reports, annual budget, and forecasts working effectively with Senior Management Team;
- Ensure that effective internal controls are in place and ensure compliance with IFRS and all applicable laws and rules for financial and tax reporting;
- Develop financial and tax strategies, together with performance measures and monitoring systems that support the AECF’s strategic direction
- Support the acquisition of capital assets and ensure that assets are properly recorded, amortized, and disposed of as appropriate;
- Oversee the management of the budget ensuring targets are met without exceeding budget allocations and develop procedures to measure cost effectiveness including variance reporting;
- As a member of the senior management team, be central in the development and implementation of the AECF strategy, corporate culture and values;
- Management of the Finance team and accountability for its performance and decisions;
Required qualifications, experience and skills:
- Masters’ degree in accounting, finance, or business administration;
- Certified Public Accountant (CPA) or hold an equivalent professional accounting qualification e.g. ACCA;
- 8+ years working experience in a senior role, including responsibility for financial management and control, at least part of which should have been in sub-Saharan Africa;
- Knowledge of donor reporting processes specifically bilateral donors;
- Ability to create a strong vision for the team and inspire others to greater performance, professional standards and results
- Ability to engage with a diverse range of teams and partners and comfortable building strong working relationships.
- Encourages a high-performing culture in the team.
- Fluency in English with French being desirable.
The AECF is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
If you believe you can clearly demonstrate your abilities to meet the relevant criteria for the role, please submit your application quoting in the subject line the Job Title “Finance Director – AECF/FD/2019”, and attach a detailed CV, e-mail address and telephone contacts. To be considered, your application must be received by Friday 11th October 2019 addressed to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified? Go to Africa Enterprise Challenge Fund (AECF) career website on www.linkedin.com to apply