FilmAid is an international development and humanitarian communications organization that harnesses the power and influence of media and the arts to respond to emergencies as well as promote social change through dialogue in order to protect the wellbeing of displaced and vulnerable populations by building stronger, healthier, and more informed communities around the world. FilmAid has been using the power of film and media for 19 years. Its work in social behavior change communication (SBCC) spans more than 12 years. FilmAid has been working in Dadaab and Kakuma refugee camps for 18 years with a wealth of knowledge in behavior and attitudes of refugees and hosting communities concerning their health and social habits.
FilmAid is deploying a three-pronged approach to achieve the goal of improving refugee/returnee community capacity, resilience and self-reliance to respond to the need for trusted and timely life-saving information in Dadaab, Kakuma and Kalobeyei. The components include Skills Development for Refugees and Returnees; Life-Saving Information Dissemination; and Social and Behavior Change Communications (SBCC). At least 80% of the staff (Community Resources Persons) that deliver FilmAid programs are from affected communities; building community self-management and leadership. Supporting and mainstreaming community-led responses to social challenges and building spaces for dialogue on the issues they face build community resilience and individual self-reliance. This enables affected populations to raise awareness, engage influencers (youth, government, UNHCR), and mobilize the larger community to respond to issues affecting them and address their concerns sustainably.
Effectively oversee the FilmAid Kenya media-training programme.
Main Duties and Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Develop and maintain student recruitment standards that are competitive, objective and inclusive.
- Develop and maintain training standards in film, journalism and graphic design (i.e. scheme of work, curriculum, standardised assessments, course work, student records, attendance sheets etc.).
- Ensure internal and external examinations are conducted to acceptable certification standards.
- Maintain the quality of training programme through self-evaluation exercises as well as internal and external quality control audits.
- Facilitate mentorship, internship and apprenticeship programmes for students.
- Identify and recommend staff capacity building needs and develop a programme for staff development.
- Leads capacity building, information dissemination and evaluation of student and staff Media trainings Programme Code of Conduct.
- Supervisory and performance management functions such as: hiring, training, assigning and delegating tasks to media training staff and consultants.
- Manage relationships between FilmAid Kenya’s programme strategic partners and other institutions of learning
- Collaborate with the Field Managers to ensure effective management of media training team with accurate planning, budgeting, management of resources including time and compliance with all regulations and practices.
- Participate in the preparation of project documents, including: strategy papers, concept notes, full proposals and more, as needed by the Country Director and the Board of Directors.
- Contribute to FilmAid’s organizational strategic thinking and organizational growth strategy, working with the Country Director and Headquarters.
Qualifications and Requirements:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Film & Television or Drama & Theatre Production or Communication or Digital Media or Art & Design.
- Experience in community and / or participatory media production.
- Minimum four (4) years of progressively responsible professional work experience in the development, planning and management of participatory film and/or other community media with practical experience in developing strategies and the adaptation and application of communication tools and mediums to specific programs.
- Commensurate education and years of experience in largely broadcast media training.
- Ability to oversee creative productions in multiple mediums, including: Film, Audio and Digital formats.
- Thorough understanding of principles of Creative Copyright issues.
- Highly developed communication skills and excellent command of English language, both written and spoken.
- Experience working within an international, multi-lingual environment and ability to work well under pressure in difficult environments.
Skills and Competencies:
- Well organized, adaptable, with excellent planning, multi-tasking and time management skills.
- Imaginative, creative and artistic.
- Effective leadership, management and supervision of multiple creative teams.
- Financial planning & management skills.
- Commitment to code of conduct, child and adult safeguarding principles.
- Commitment to humanitarian principles and action.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified persons with the required experience are invited to submit their applications with only Cover Letter, CV and 3 references to Email address: email@example.com on or before 21st October, 2019 and clearly indicate on the subject line as ‘Media Training Manager’ and stating your expected remuneration for this role.
Note that applicants who send letters of references, testimonials or any other documents apart from those requested will be automatically disqualified.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
FilmAid Kenya is an Equal Opportunity Employer