Virunga Power is focused on developing profitable and sustainable power generation and distribution systems on a community scale in rural areas of sub-Saharan Africa. We engage local and regional stakeholders to tailor renewable power solutions to match local needs and resources. Our current projects in development include small hydro, biomass, and solar PV generation projects between 3 and 20 MW capacity across East Africa.
Overview of Position
The primary role of the Community Liaison Officer (CLO) is to represent Virunga Power in host communities of several small hydro power projects in Kenya, serving as a liaison to community leaders and community members and facilitating proactive relationships. Ideally, the CLO shall be based in Bungoma County (or environs) and travel to host communities in Bungoma, Murang’a and Nandi Counties, with regular travel to Nairobi. The CLO shall perform other duties and assume other responsibilities assigned by the Project Director.
- Act as a focal point of contact with the local communities, leaders and other stakeholders for the purpose of building effective communication and enhancing relationships between the communities and Virunga Power projects in accordance with International Finance Corporation (IFC) Performance Standard 1.Support in the development, management and facilitation of the community engagement strategy, plan of action and field activities for each project.
- Assist with the development of various programs to educate community members about the projects and to support active community participation during different various project phases.
- Work closely and effectively with other personnel in Virunga Power in sensitizing communities on various aspects of the projects.
- Work closely with study consultants and other contractors to ensure that communities are aware of their activities and the expectations for public participation as needed.
- Provide on-going feedback to Virunga Power on new and emerging community issues and concerns and recommend strategies and interventions for addressing such issues and concerns.
- Prepare and submit regular reports and updates on community issues to Virunga Power, project contractors and other interested parties as necessary.
- Carry out regular spot checks in the project areas with project officers to feed into progress reports.
- Participate in milestone meetings for monitoring the progress of the projects.
- Perform other duties as may be assigned from time to time by Virunga Power.
Required Qualifications and Experience
- Degree in Sociology, Social Work, Political Science, Community Development or related field.
- At least 3 years of experience working with communities.
- Demonstrated ability to liaise, communicate, coordinate and negotiate with stakeholders at all levels of society.
- Fluent in written and spoken English and KiSwahili.
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills
- Commitment to and understanding of the aims, values, principles, policies and procedures of Virunga Power
- Commitment to utilizing participatory approaches
- Excellent physical condition and enjoy working outdoors
- Ability to work with minimal supervision
- Demonstrable ability at report writing
- A good understanding and/or knowledge of community cultures, customs and practices
- Group facilitation and coaching skills
- A good sense of organization and time management
- Ability to demonstrate a sense of respect, listening and interaction with local projects actors
Terms of Employment
Employment is full-time on a one-year renewable contract with a probation period for the first 3 months. Salary is negotiable within the appropriate grade depending on education, experience and demonstrated competency.
Method of Application
All applicants must meet each selection criteria detailed in the minimum requirements
- Current CV with names of at least 3 referees.
- Copies of academic and professional certificates and valid licenses where applicable.
- A cover letter of not more than one page expressing your interest in the position highlighting your relevant experience.
All documents should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org with the Subject: “CLO Kenya”.
Applications are due no later than: 25th October 2019 at 5pm EAT.
Only those shortlisted will be contacted.
Virunga Power is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity; persons with disability, women, youth and those from marginalized areas are encouraged to apply. There is no fee at any stage of its recruitment process including application, interview and processing of offer letter.