JM Associates is a firm established to provide professional and quality services to small and medium enterprises in the areas of audit, advisory and tax.
JM Associates, an audit firm based in Nairobi, is currently recruiting a qualified, experienced and self-driven tax assistant. This position requires one to have good knowledge and understanding of the Kenyan tax laws. The tax assistant will anticipate and identify technical tax issues and provide appropriate solutions. The firm has expertise in serving SMEs, Pension schemes, SACCOs and NGOs.
Tasks and Responsibilities:
- Prepare, file and remit all monthly statutory returns on a timely basis.
- Reconciling all statutory payments at the end of each month.
- Record day-to-day financial transactions and complete the posting process.
- Ensure proper filing of approved vouchers and supporting documents for all transactions posted in the accounting systems.
- Where physical filing is not convenient, proper attachment in soft form the accounting system database should be ensured.
- Processing cheques and payments
- Reconciling all bank accounts at the end of the month.
- Understanding and updating the ledgers and budgets e.t.c.
- Process accounts receivables and payables
- Maintain the asset register.
- Handling the monthly payroll using the payroll software.
- Preparing and submitting financial reports on a weekly, monthly and yearly basis.
- Submitting to the account’s manager all the required reports on a weekly and monthly basis for review and timely reporting to the Board of Directors.
- The standard reports to be submitted include but not limited to;
- -Balance sheet,
- -Income statement i.e ProjectWise, departmental, branch wise, jobwise e.t.c or in the
- Required classification on a weekly and monthly basis.
- Cashflow statements i.e weekly cash movement summaries showing all collections and
- Aging lists for suppliers and debtors,
- Inventory movement reports, (weekly and monthly).
- Bank reconciliations and supporting statements.
- Monitoring financial transactions and reports specifically on job profitability, project costs and revenues and cost efficiency as often as required.
- Preparing audit schedules and subsequent reconciliations as required.
- Assisting and facilitating audits, fact checks and resolving discrepancies.
- Implementing and enforcing financial and inventory controls
- Work with the other accountants when necessary.
- Performing any other duties as may be required.
- Ensuring that daily, all the jobs and tasks are updated and completed on Jetpack and the timesheet is completed and shared with the Manager and Partner.
Specific Job Knowledge, Skills and Experience:
- Ability to observe and understand business processes ensuring processes are documented completely and accurately.
- Strong double entry accounting knowledge and basic bookkeeping skills
- Basic Tax knowledge desirable
- Excellent verbal, written, interpersonal communication skills are essential
- Experience of statutory and management accounts preparation
- Evidence of being a motivated self-starter with the ability to multitask, work under pressure and complete assignments within time constraints and deadlines.
- Proactive in researching business best practice concepts in order to apply as appropriate.
- Solid listening skills and ability to identify gaps in logic – inquisitive
- Strong organization and follow up skills including the ability to handle competing priorities and meet all deadlines and commitments
- Ability to give and follow instructions accurately and efficiently proactive in asking clarifying questions to ensure work effort is directed wholly toward desired outcome.
- Ability to recognize when learned theoretical concepts should be applied
- Solid understanding and ability to apply risk and control concepts
- Ability to identify underlying cause of an issue raise.
- Good awareness of other departments in the company with risk control and governance responsibilities and what is necessary for successful tactical collaboration and information sharing.
- Ability to identify sensitive issues and facilitate communications in a proactive manner to avoid surprises.
- Willingness and ability to adapt to new circumstances information and challenges
- Executes effective and thorough application of all internal audit standards within assigned responsibility
- Ability and willingness to travel domestically and internationally Demonstrate a positive can-do attitude
Education and Qualification
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting
- Experience of 2 years working in a petrol station is a MUST
- A Minimum of at least 2 years’ experience is required as well as one or more relevant professional certifications or pursuing completion of the professional courses (i.e. CPA, ACCA)
Method of Application
Interested and qualified? Go to JM Associates career website on www.linkedin.com to apply